THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went ahead and picked up a few yesterday just in case someone snags them up. Don't even have my UDS built yet, but at least I have my fuel for the first cook! :thumb:

IMAG0080.jpg

I'm all stocked up :thumb:

Mrs Mafia went to pick some up for me and was told they don't carry that size bag.
Nothing is easy at that store. I will check the store in the next town.

I'll pick some up at that price, but my last trip through WW they had NO RO!!!!!!!!!

I'm almost out. :shock:

Anybody seeing good deals on Royal Oak (and in stock) in So Cal anwhere?

UPDATE from slickdeals

Update: Acme hardware stores has a coupon book [forthemommas.com], as well as jewelosco (thanks goingcrzy), Market Basket and Shaws (thanks purplefdu) with $1/1 Kingsford charcoal. The coupons seem to be mfg coupons so ithey should be valid anywhere. Also see military commissary deal during their case sale event on Royal Oak below (YMMV), I put the details of my local event below. Menards deal added (thanks brokencycle). Finally, heard that Home Depot is waiting until Saturday of Memorial Day to put their charcoal on sale. I don't know about Lowes but I went there yesterday and they had 7 pallets of Kingsford in the store so they are getting ready for a big sale too. Academy deal added, thanks to Scott P.

Walmart's ad starting 5/22/2011 shows that you can get a 2 pack of 16.6 lbs of Kingsford charcoal for $7.50 (last week's sale price was $7.48 for one bag). This should be the beginning of a week and a half of charcoal wars between Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. In preparation for last year's Memorial Day, Home Depot had a 40lb deal for about $11, I believe anyway, and Lowes came in a few days later with a buy one get one free deal that turned out to be a slightly better deal. I've attached an image of the Walmart page below for PM users.

Charcoal Briquets
Walmart - 22.6 cents per pound
Lowes - No sale price yet (expecting a 2 for one deal, currently $8.68 for 16.6 pounds) <- Maybe PM +10% to Walmart price as the packaging/weight is the same
HD - No sale price yet, currently 40lbs for $15.87 (expecting a 40lbs for $10.50 or 26 cents a pound deal but 5/19 ad doesn't list any charcoal deals)
Costco Bay Area - 52.8 cents per pound --- Kingsford Competition Briquets 2 - 18 LB Bags $18.99 --- thanks meetyburger
Military Commissary Case Event [commissaries.com](YMMV, some end 5/22/2011) - Royal Oak 16.6 lb bag for $3.55 after instant savings (no tax but a 2% surcharge)
Academy Sports and Outdoor [shoplocal.com]- BOGO 16.6 lb bags for $7.99 - 24.2 cents per pound (thanks Scott P)
Menards - Royal Oak 18 lb bag, 2/$9 or 0.25 per pound -- they have an 11% price match policy but Royal Oak in 18 lb bags are hard to find, especially at a better deal

Charcoal Lumps
Walmart - No sale price yet
Lowes - No sale price yet (currently Cowboy 8.8lbs $6.97)
HD - No sale price yet
Costco Bay Area - no sale price yet

Current best price strategy
1. Buy Lowes.com gift card from the plastic jungle place for a 7% (face value < $200). - 9% (face value >= $200) discount off of face value. Note that they take about 5 days to get the card to you.
2. Get the $1/1 coupon from Acme.
3. Take the WalMart ad to Lowes for a price match + 10%.
4. Cost breakdown:
a. $7.50 for 2 16.6 lb bags.
b. Minus 0.75 for Lowes price match = $6.75.
c. Minus 1.00 for Acme coupon = $5.75. If you are really lucky you may be able to use 2 coupons (one for each bag).
d. Pay with card you got in step 1 with a 7% discount = Final price $5.35 + tax for 33.2 lbs of charcoal.

Started my day at Wal Mart and bought 5 double 16 pounders at $ 7.50. :thumb:Went to Lowe's after that, $ 8.47 for a single 16lbs K, pretty much the same when I went to Home depot :roll: I could have gotten more at WM but am waiting for the other two to get in the game next weekend and maybe beat Wally's price. :wink:
Thats the plan at lease, or its back to Wal Mart for another 10 bags!

I guess it makes a big difference being on the east coast! Just got back from Wally World and their "special" was 2 - 13.9 lb. bags of Kingsford blue for $10.48 and 10 lb. bags of Royal Oak for $10.00!!!!! BUMMER!!!! Maybe the Mem. Day sale hasn't started here yet?!! Went to Lowes right across the street and they were putting pallets of Blue out but had not marked them down yet. The sales assoc. said it would be Wed. or Thurs. before the special came out.

I guess it makes a big difference being on the east coast! Just got back from Wally World and their "special" was 2 - 13.9 lb. bags of Kingsford blue for $10.48 and 10 lb. bags of Royal Oak for $10.00!!!!! BUMMER!!!! Maybe the Mem. Day sale hasn't started here yet?!! Went to Lowes right across the street and they were putting pallets of Blue out but had not marked them down yet. The sales assoc. said it would be Wed. or Thurs. before the special came out.

Same thing here BUT I scouted around and found the 2x16.6 packs for $7.50 hid back in the garden section .... try again ... I picked up 200 lbs this week and will go back for another next week

Same thing here BUT I scouted around and found the 2x16.6 packs for $7.50 hid back in the garden section .... try again ... I picked up 200 lbs this week and will go back for another next week

I printed out a copy of our weekly add and took it back to Wal Mart and the lady at the register said they had to honor the add so she she rang me up for 12 bags at $3.75 per bag and as I was leaving one of the stockers came up to me and said they have the twin packs in the back of the garden center against the wall!! Funny how they put out the ones for 2-13lb. for 10.48 right at the door!!! Will be going back tomorrow for 10 more bags.

Lowes manager told me their special will be buy one get one free at 8.48 per 16 lb. bag. He also told me they would not price match the Wal Mart price. His reason "Our bags are not special shrink wrapped two packs like at Wal Mart and we can't sell you ours at 2 for 7.50!!" What a moron!

Got 10 twin packs (20 16.6# bags) from WM today, $79.50 out the door. I tried to have Home Depot price match on a per pound basis, and they wouldn't do it, they said because they sell (2) 20# bags not 16.6# bags they couldn't compare. Their loss......

Lowes manager told me their special will be buy one get one free at 8.48 per 16 lb. bag. He also told me they would not price match the Wal Mart price. His reason "Our bags are not special shrink wrapped two packs like at Wal Mart and we can't sell you ours at 2 for 7.50!!" What a moron!

I had this discussion about price matching today with my friend. I honestly think people are going to be running into this issue if they try to price match with Lowe's. The Wal-Mart deal is specially shrink wrapped in blue and has a sticker on it with a UPC and it probably has a special SKU. Different SKU=different product, even if the contents are exactly the same.

Someone prove me wrong, I'd love to see some people save money, but I'm betting that most people get turned down if they try to price match. I bought a 2 pack at Wal Mart today, but I think I'm done with briqs for the summer since I bought a dozen bags of Stubbs when they had their 2 for 1 sale a couple months back.

Got my 10 twin packs for $7.50 at the local Wally World. Cashier looked at me kinda silly. Stocked up for a while. Good deal for around here.

I went back to my local Walmart tonight to get some more and they had no twin packs of any kind anywhere hidden or not.. only the single 16.6lb bags for $7.48..

Hello. I was referred here to the forum by a good buddy and have been enjoying browsing through all the posts.

Thanks to this thread, I was made aware of the WalMart sale. It's only been the last few months that I'm back to using charcoal, and at full price, it was a little painful to fill the chimney. This deal will make it alot more fun!

I picked up 10 twin packs yesterday! Thanks for the heads up, and I look forward to being a part of the forum.

UPDATE from slickdeals

Update 5/23/2011: It seems that Walmart only shipped 20 pallets of the one-time-offer deal to each store and most are nearly out or are completely out of stock of the 2 pack of 16.6 lbs of charcoal. Rumor has it (thanks HDEmpInGA) that HD will have 2 20 lb bags for less than $8.00 (prob 7.97) total price starting Thursday. If so, that will be the best deal at 20 cents a lb. Also, Lowes deal is supposed to start tomorrow and we are expecting a BOGO for the 16.6 lbs at $8 or so. I'll post more when I see the ads.

Back