THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

80/20 ground chuck or get some brisket and grind it yourself. Don't add nothin'. When you add that stuff, it only interferes with the "grain" of the patty that allows the fat and juices to move about freely. The only additive fit using is a bit of nice hickory smoke...

I use 80/20 CAB chuck for burgers and just some salt and pepper at the grill. As others say, adding fillers brings you to meatloaf. I sometimes use 25% chorizo (that I make!) for a different taste.
Obviously, though, you can experiment to your heart's desire and probably come up with something pretty tasty.

No fillers, 80/20, salt & pepper and your ready to roll. They won't fall apart as long as you let them cook, no flipping back and forth or smashing them down.

I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer that has all the attachments, including the grinding attachment, I use that to grind my own. Many different machines out there to use, pretty much how much do you want to spend and how often are you gonna use it?

been making burgers out of wagyu trimmings and its about 50-50 fat lol. def need a binder to keep it together

I always struggled with my burgers falling apart on the grill. Especially with the pre-formed patties you can get at the store. Here is what I do for my burgers.

- 1 egg per 1 lb of ground beef (80/20)
- Italian style bread crumbs to bring it to the right consistency to where the patties form easily in your hand and don't fall apart.
- salt, pepper, Worcestershire. and garlic to taste
- form patties with thinner middles than outer edges
- grill

For all you Grinders out there what is a reasonable cut of beef to grind for burgers.

I know real Rib Eye beef would be great but if I am going to buy that, I am going to grill it rare. What is the sweet spot for great burgers at a good price?

Also, what are your thoughts on the "Authentic" crank grinders vs. a cheep electric like the "Waring Pro MG100NC"?

I have seen both on Kijiji...

Thanks,

Here is what I have learned to make some of the best burgers I have ever had:
-Grind your own.
-Don't overwork the meat. Gently make a pile of ground beef on a flat surface, then form it until it just comes together. The looser the pack of the meat, the jucier the burger.
-Don't mix in anything with the meat. If you want to make a "specialty" burger, do so with the toppings.
-Salt and pepper generously just before hitting the heat. If you salt a while beforehand, the burger will start to cure, and you will get a sausage consistency.
-Cook on a flat top. This will help in 2 ways. One, you get a great crust on the entire flat surfaces of the patty, as opposed to just on the parts contacting a grill grate. Two, it is a lot easier to keep your loosely packed patties from falling apart. Grill marks are overrated, and you can still get that grilled flavor by cooking on a cast iron over charcoal. I have also found that, with these methods, my patties don't shrink up and bulge in the center.

For all you Grinders out there what is a reasonable cut of beef to grind for burgers.
I know real Rib Eye beef would be great but if I am going to buy that, I am going to grill it rare. What is the sweet spot for great burgers at a good price?
Thanks,

My best burgers have used the Serious Eats "Blue Label" blend. It is some ratio of sirloin, brisket, and oxtail. The oxtail is a bit of a pain to remove from the bones, but adds really nice flavor to the mix.

Here is what I have learned to make some of the best burgers I have ever had:
-Grind your own.
-Don't overwork the meat. Gently make a pile of ground beef on a flat surface, then form it until it just comes together. The looser the pack of the meat, the jucier the burger.
-Don't mix in anything with the meat. If you want to make a "specialty" burger, do so with the toppings.
-Salt and pepper generously just before hitting the heat. If you salt a while beforehand, the burger will start to cure, and you will get a sausage consistency.
-Cook on a flat top. This will help in 2 ways. One, you get a great crust on the entire flat surfaces of the patty, as opposed to just on the parts contacting a grill grate. Two, it is a lot easier to keep your loosely packed patties from falling apart. Grill marks are overrated, and you can still get that grilled flavor by cooking on a cast iron over charcoal. I have also found that, with these methods, my patties don't shrink up and bulge in the center.

My best burgers have used the Serious Eats "Blue Label" blend. It is some ratio of sirloin, brisket, and oxtail. The oxtail is a bit of a pain to remove from the bones, but adds really nice flavor to the mix.

You just need to use your thumb or spoon to make a bit of a depression in the middle of the burger before grilling. It helps stop the burger from doing that.

I started grinding my own a few months ago when I realized how much money was getting trimmed off things. Now, when I trim, silverskin and junk still goes to the garbage, but soft fat and dangly meat goes into the freezer. Those trimmings + whatever's cheap (chuck, brisket, even round if you have the fat for it) go into my grinder. Add butter if you don't have enough fat, but most of us have plenty ....

I got a little plastic POS grinder that works great for just the family:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Grinder-Mincer-Pasta-Maker/dp/B0002I5QHW/"]Amazon.com: Norpro Meat Grinder, Mincer, and Pasta Maker: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bgfMfgBcL.@@AMEPARAM@@41bgfMfgBcL[/ame]

Would need a big metal one for a party, but 6-8 burgers/2-4# is a snap with this one. Cleans easily and quickly, which was important to me.

can get expensive, but rib-eye is almost the perfect balance of beef:fat if you want a good steak burger.

I usually grind my own from 70% chuck 10% ribeye 20% pork fat
Salt & Pepper each side.

We buy chuck roasts when they are one sale and stock up. When we want burgers I trim the silver skin and take off all the hard fat and just grind up everything else so I have no clue what the % meat:fat ratio is. We like to look for well marbled meat.

Al bought me this grinder about 5-6 years ago and it works well for us. we have made sausages a few times, and grind beef a couple 4 times a year.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home...ype=GNU&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104798880;cat104364180

If we used it much more then that I may look at something more heavy duty.

recently i've had problems with my burgers staying burgers, the past 2 times i've made home made burgers (from grinding meat) it turned into ground beef for tacos. Maybe my home ground meat was too lean?

I would never use binders in a burger. I use some of my rub in the burgers and a little salt and pepper on the outside. Hand pat and put them on the grill.

I don't think grinding your own solves the e-coli problem. E-coli lives on the surface of unground meat and will be ground into the meat at home or in a commercial environment. The reason we can cook steaks rare is precisely because it is not ground, any e-coli or other nasties on the surface are handle well before internal temp rises.

While grinding your own no-doubt gives a better burger, you still have to practice good food safety.

VR,
Harold

Back