David Chang's Burger manifesto

Thanks Deep, yeah, I did read this rant. A real eye roll moment. I remember thinking why on Earth would he publicly declare that his olfactory compass is so haywire that he thinks Singha is a good match for uni pasta?
That's like pairing Neopolitan ice cream with French Onion soup!

Edit; I guess now we know who is responsible for all the U.S. Sales of Fosters tho:yo:

Last edited:
In Chicago White Castle is usually consumed late in the evening, with the false impression that it will help sop up the excessive alcohol you've consumed.

The morning after you invariably say, "It seemed like a good idea last night." And guess what? It never is a good idea.

White Castle sober? "Fuh-ged-aboud-it!"

I love White Castle but other than that this guy sounds like my cousin's six year old kid with his "Veggies eww! Mustard ick!!" stuff. No idea who this guy is but he can keep his ketchup and his opinions to himself...

Really? A plain and dry burger? No mustard? And ketchup on the side? Sounds like a burger fit for a very picky 3 year old child!

That manifesto just proves the writer has never had a real burger in their life!

My opinion, as allowed by law.

It's great to see someone take a strong and principled position about one of the great issues of our time. It is about d**n time someone stood up and said what needed to be said. Thank you, OP, for being so brave (and for making me laugh--it's an excellent, fun post).

umm, did you read the whole article or are you just making chit up again

None of us know who you are talking to or about.
As for myself, I generally try to inform myself, and I also make chit up for fun, not to be untruthful.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings with my genuine laughter, but that WAS a funny arse thing to say and I really did laugh. "David Chang, one of the Great culinary minds of our time" :pound:

I mean, you have to see it from our perspective, right?
That was a good one.

Anyway, rather than get all steamy about absolutely nothing, here is some responses from people inside the USA food industry.
That's important, because outside the USA nobody much has heard of him.
As far as I know, David Chang has not even made it to the Gaggenau Chefs top lists for consideration, and has never been mentioned once.
http://www.gq.com/story/garret-oliver-crappy-beer

http://www.eatinglv.com/2015/04/david-chang-is-an-idiot/

So, it is pretty clear he is just sh!tstirring to make waves and get attention.
He insulted burgers, I don't know why that would be acceptable to any American, since Americans identify so closely to this German classic.

:noidea:

I would read this but it don't fit my monitor be dam if I'm gonna scroll back &forth to read it. Well done,bacon, green chili, mustard, onion, pickle, Cheddar, and an over easy egg.

Here in Ohio we have a term for his views. We call them

WRONG.

The perfect burger is 6 oz of chuck with two slices of American cheese, a thin slice each of tomato and sweet onion, lettuce and pickle. Condiments of your choice, but I usually do without. Toasted bun, preferably sesame seed.

IF a place can make that and make it right - right meaning greater than the sum of its parts (how he thinks White Castle sliders meet that definition is beyond me - vile) then I might try something more esoteric. Maybe. But you gotta earn your props first.

In-N-Out, Whataburger, The Habit, all are great burgers. Five Guys is good, but not my favorite. Sonic makes a great big greasy burger that hits the spot at times. Smashburger? Not for me.

The only place I regularly go off the reservation is Terry's Turf Club in Cincinnati. All their burgers are first rate. I highly recommend this little dive if yo are ever in town.

terrys-turf-club-22612.jpg

terrys-turf-club-3.jpg

There's a fallacy called argument from authority. Just because the guy is a famous chef, doesn't mean all his opinions about food are right. The guy can have all the bread/meat/ketchup only burgers and cheap beer he wants, doesn't mean I'm going to do the same and pretend to like it.

Plus, I can't have a burger without onions :wink:

Some levity: Most might disagree with Chang on THIS topic, but his food credentials don't lie: " In 2009 Ko was awarded 2 Michelin stars, which it has retained each year since.[5]"
& 5 James Beard awards. The most of any restaurateur/chef.

So what, he likes to drink cheap beer and eat cheap post-bender sliders? I don't want overpriced fake kobe sliders either - they taste no better than what I make at home or get from a decent food truck. My wife doesn't do veggies on her burger. I put ketchup on my hot dogs. I love ketchup. Mustard might be the condiment of Texas, but as a Texan...they always put too much on my burger. Always. American cheese is great on burgers...and grilled cheese sandwiches. I eat McDonald's old school cheeseburgers sometimes - because I want to remember the taste of childhood.

The article is meant to be inflammatory and get you debating - read Lucky Peach, it's what they do - and do it well. Let's not be pretenious - sometimes life calls for cheap beef back ribs or select brisket...it's not all Prime cuts and $100 short ribs.

When I was stationed at Minot AFB North Dakota back in 87, our Base Ops snack bar had a burger called the Eagle Burger....quarter lb patty, american cheese, cheddar cheese and provolone cheese, bacon, fried egg mayo lettuce and tomatoes on a grilled buttered croissant. Sheer perfection!

If you read the whole article and still offended by what he said. You obviously missed this part.

5. Also: Do as I say, not as I do. When you catch me eating one of these kinds of burgers that I have spoken against, please know that I am the ultimate hypocrite and that I am probably enjoying the **** out of it. Hamburgers are pretty much all good.

Sounds like his philosophy on burgers is like mine on pizza. I prefer thin crust, pepperoni and cheese. However I will eat any type of pizza you put in front of me and enjoy it. Even bad pizza taste good enough to eat.

If you read the whole article and still offended by what he said. You obviously missed this part.

5. Also: Do as I say, not as I do. When you catch me eating one of these kinds of burgers that I have spoken against, please know that I am the ultimate hypocrite and that I am probably enjoying the **** out of it. Hamburgers are pretty much all good.

Sounds like his philosophy on burgers is like mine on pizza. I prefer thin crust, pepperoni and cheese. However I will eat any type of pizza you put in front of me and enjoy it. Even bad pizza taste good enough to eat.

Well said! Pizza and Burgers are similar to Boobs; sure we all have our favorite type, but we'll gladly take any.

1. White Castle

2. Jack-In-The-Box ... the Sourdough Jack

And ... that's it. Everything else is *meh*.

Except ... Whataburger. Yecch. The Mrs and I called it whata****tyburger back when we lived in TX.

lol...Schmoke, we do not share taste in burgers, but your avatar! I haven't seen Old Frothiongslosh for years - 'The Pale Stale Ale with the Foam on the Bottom!'

Back