THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speedtree

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
john
Question for you PBC pros. I just bought a PBC last week and cooked a 15# brisket, trimmed pretty thoroughly. The problem was when I hung it, the tip was literally dragging in the coals. At least the bottom 4 inches or so. Is that what you guys/gals do? My only solution was to hook the bottom and hang it from the other bar kinda hammock style. It turned out okay.

Yep, that is sometimes a problem with long racks of ribs too. I generally am able to hook them a little lower and then bend the top over a little to fit. For those that are clearly too long for even that, then your approach seems reasonable....and then there is always a trim...or perhaps even separate the point and the flat.

I did this a couple of times at first. Frustrating because now you're worrying about having the lid off for too long since you have to fuss with it etc.

I just sliced the end of the flat off and tossed it on the half-grate those couple of times. Since then, I generally hook to the side of the point instead of through the top. The point will fold over a bit but not to a degree where it is on top of itself, blocking portions of the meat. As long as you still nab enough of the point and make sure it also hooks through the flat with the first hook, you are good to go.

Back