Brisket Getting Scarce And Prices Climbing.

Strange how much prices and availability vary by region. Choice brisket was $1.67/ lb this past weekend at Kroger. Prime brisket at Costco was $3.xx/ lb. I also grabbed a two pack of butts from Costco that was $1.xx/ lb

All the stores I've been to in last week have plenty of the primal cuts unless they had some crazy deal which created a run.

Was at my Sam's Club yesterday morning (about 30 miles north of Detroit) they had about 6 USDSA Prime whole packers in the 15-18lb range at $6.99/lb. I purchased a 13lb Prime packer from there 3 weeks ago and it was $2.54/lb.

Similar in PA. I bought a Prime from Sam's Club about 3 weeks ago for $3.50 / pound. Now the same Sam's is selling them for $6.98 / pound.

Two weeks ago, my local Sam's had their Select briskets at about $2 a pound. Last weekend, the same briskets were now $5 a pound.
The local Walmart still had briskets at a little over $2 a pound, but they weren't graded. They used to have Select and Choice at that price.

Strange how much prices and availability vary by region. Choice brisket was $1.67/ lb this past weekend at Kroger. Prime brisket at Costco was $3.xx/ lb. I also grabbed a two pack of butts from Costco that was $1.xx/ lb

All the stores I've been to in last week have plenty of the primal cuts unless they had some crazy deal which created a run.

Yeah, you farkers are hoarding them all down there and we all seem to be paying the price for it......wanna trade for some toilet paper?:razz:

The price we are all paying for the centralized meat processing / packing. When a few go down, we all see the effect. :cry:

Here in CT the normal grocers look just like they did pre-pandemic in terms of meat and have no purchase limits. (Which unfortunately never had much brisket). Sams, Costco etc are wiped out and one per person for.any meat purchase. Doesn’t make any sense.

Similar in PA. I bought a Prime from Sam's Club about 3 weeks ago for $3.50 / pound. Now the same Sam's is selling them for $6.98 / pound.

Also the same in Northern CO. I'm guessing that Sam's did a profit reassessment and upped the price. Sadly took brisket off my near term cook list. And butts last week were not much better, but baby backs were almost at give away prices.

Sadly I believe that most of short term price fluctuations are the perceived supply and demand, and not always real.

Northern Utah here, just bought two choice brisket for $3.29lb - both around 15 pounds -came to $108... pork butts are $1.79

Did an event last weekend. Briskets were $7 lb.

Thought about switching to chuck roll for an upcoming one... $10 a pound!

Impossible to turn a profit on that

Northern Utah here, just bought two choice brisket for $3.29lb - both around 15 pounds -came to $108... pork butts are $1.79

If you have a chest freezer, I'd suggest getting a couple more of each to get you through the summer.

Speaking of chest freezers...those things have become unicorns too. Can't find them anywhere locally...at any store....in any size...for any price.

Wife and I went to Restaurant Depot yesterday. They had plenty of brisket. Choice @ $5.42lb
We grabbed 2 briskets, 4 pack of beef plate ribs and a 4 pack of St. Louis ribs. $362
Not great but definitely not terrible either. Was happy to see so much beef.

I was just over at my local grocery and didn't have any whole brisket. I could only get 1/2 (the last one) and it was $10/lb. I will check out the Costco.

I'm actually pretty excited as brisket prices have started rapidly falling in price. About a month ago they creeped up to $7/Lb for Choice, and now they're at about $4/Lb for Choice. While that's still high it's getting to the point where I can actually make some money cooking them again. My customers are awesome, but they are getting a bit tired of Pulled Pork and Chicken Drumsticks. haha

cincy
kroger last weekend- spare ribs 2.47 , choice brisket was at 3, just looked and it is now 7.99. pork butt 2.49.

sam's on friday - spares 2.99 , pork butt 1.98 , prime brisket 4.99.

now that i see kroger's price on the choice, i wish i would have picked up a prime @ sam's but i already have one from kroger in the freezer.

Mid Michigan report:
Valley in Pinconning has 2 pack butts for $1.19#
Lamberts in Gladwin has Whole Ribeye Loins for $4.99#
Freddies in Atlanta has Leq Quarters for $0.39# and Spares for $1.69#

Will be gathering some quantities of all of these for a big cook Friday night for some family & friends. Hopefully will be able to provide pron level pictures.

Back