Brinkmann Cimarron Smoker Restorition Project

I have the exact same model and I need to do a good clean up like you have done. Please share the pics of the tuning plate(s).

I have built a new FB grate for mine, but that is about it, for now.

Am thinking of installing a small (pluggable) port on mine so I can Insert the probes of my Mav. remote thermometer. Also might do something different on top of the FB so I can preheat my splits.

But - in the meantime, I'm still working on finishing my trailer mounted BBQ grill...

got a fire / charcoal basket made tonight , I bought a sheet of expanded metal from Home Depot for $20 and it measures 12" X 12" X6" . the grate that was originally in there was in bad shape so this will do the same thing and keep the fire more contained in one spot .

DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF6204.jpg

DSCF6199.jpg

DSCF6201.jpg

I have the exact same model and I need to do a good clean up like you have done. Please share the pics of the tuning plate(s).

I have built a new FB grate for mine, but that is about it, for now.

Am thinking of installing a small (pluggable) port on mine so I can Insert the probes of my Mav. remote thermometer. Also might do something different on top of the FB so I can preheat my splits.

But - in the meantime, I'm still working on finishing my trailer mounted BBQ grill...

this is what I am going to put on mine and I have them on my other smoker and work great and you can get them at any hardware store .

Last edited:
Nice. You got them from the electrical dept?

yes and they are called NM/SE Gampak 1/2" connectors , also just drill a hole and buy a nut to screw on the back side . you might take a pic with a phone when you go in because there are so many different ones if you can not find them it might be easier to show the sales person but Home Depot has them in stock for $3

metal guy got my tuning plates cut today and got them home and I cut the angles of the inside barrel piece and I am ready to season it tomorrow so I cook on it this weekend .

plates are made out of 1/4" plate steel and are 13" X 6" on the flat pieces and 15" X 6" for the firebox piece .

DSCF6207.jpg

DSCF6212.jpg

I got rid of the stock deflector from the fire box and bolted a piece of angle iron in over the FB opening that the first tuning plate sits on.

Really nice job cleaning that bad boy up. Really nice.

I got rid of the stock deflector from the fire box and bolted a piece of angle iron in over the FB opening that the first tuning plate sits on.

Really nice job cleaning that bad boy up. Really nice.

I though about doing the same thing but I am going to try this first due to how I got that piece cut so good but what you did was my first idea and may go back to it if this does not work good .

getting the smoker seasoned up for this weekend tonight , got it sprayed down with oil and heated up to 275 degrees . I was amazed how quick this 1/4" thick cooker came up to temp in 20 minutes with just a little bit of wood and as you can see a nice clear blue smoke coming out of the stack . spatchcock chicken and rib pics coming this weekend .

DSCF6215.jpg

DSCF6217.jpg

first cooked and broke The Brinkmann in today , I used a mix of Hickory and Cherry for the smoke flavor and Mama Stump's Rub . cooked these at a temp from 225 to 250 degrees and was surprised how little bit of wood it used on a five hour cook and how easy it held temps and never had that with the cheep thin metal Brinkmann smokers . these were awesome ribs and poof they were gone !

DSCF6237.jpg

DSCF6240.jpg

Back