Moving offset smoker from front driveway to back patio

txgolfer45

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Scott
I am picking up my new to me offset smoker on Sunday. One challenge is moving it from the driveway to my back patio. My side yard has about 35 ft of gravel to navigate. My smoker has casters in front and steel wheels in back. I don't think the casters will roll over the gravel. So, I'm trying to figure out what to use to cover the gravel and navigate that distance. It is too heavy to just pick up and carry over the 35 ft distance. Maybe 2x12 boards as planks?

This....

You can also lighten the load by removing all grates, ash pans, and anything else that's not attached.

OR, if the casters aren’t more than 24” apart, buy One Sheet and rip it in half lengthwise.

Pull it up a ramp into the smallest open U-Haul trailer and roll it back by hand? Those trailers are quite inexpensive for a single day rental.

My smoker is almost 1,000lbs

I bought 1 4ft x 8ft 1/2 thick hardwood plywood sheet(cut it in half to 2 4x4 at home depot) from Home Depot. And we just rolled, moved the last board to the front and layed the next one until we got to the back.

I got it stuck in some gravel one time, I got my 6 ton floor jack and jacked it up enough to move it to the concrete.

Tips:
My buddy tried it and cheaped out and bought OSB sheathing board and tried to roll his on grass. The board started breaking. He had to go back and buy good solid boards. As well don't use cheap particle board either. Unless your ground is super dry and your smoker is lighter.

Another trick that helps a lot is to ratchet strap a couple of long 2x4's to either side of the smoker or grill. That gives a great place for multiple helpers to get a good hold, with lots of leverage.

If you extend them out farther on the heavy end, it will help balance the weight..

We got a suggestion to use scrap carpet on top of the gravel. We will try that.

Plywood is the best choice but if you don't have any be prepared cause it's pricey. Pine bed slats would work good too and not as expensive. You can get 1"x4"x3.25' at HD for $3.50 each. Hopefully you find something that works and not have to buy anything. Good luck.

Back