THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Didn't really plan on smoking anything, on New Year's Eve, but after a change of plans, I decided to get ready, the night before, and start the New Year, in true Brethren style.
On the menu was a double smoked ham, smoked turkey breast and a fatty, to keep them company on the UDS.
The turkey breast was brined, overnight, in a solution of salt, brown sugar, AJ, OJ, water and cinnamon sticks.
PICT0032.jpg

The breast was rinsed, and patted dry with paper towels, drizzled with EVOO and seasoned with Greek seasonings.
PICT0041.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

The ham was smoked and pre-cooked, I scored the outside and started to think of what glaze would go on the top.
PICT0039.jpg

As for the fatty:
PICT0036.jpg

The filling was cream cheese, cheddar cheese, roasted red peppers, slice Boar's Head Deluxe ham and salt and pepper, to taste. Hit it with the hand mixer.
PICT0034.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

Then a few Craisins, for a sweet contrast, with the roasted peppers.
PICT0038.jpg

Soaked a few chunks of mesquite and cherry wood, overnight, for this cook.
Started my chimney and loaded the UDS, with Kingsford. Set up my Maverick pit thermo and finally got a chance, to break in my Superbly Fast, Feriously Acurate Red Thermapen. When the temp. reached 255, on the UDS, I sprayed the grate, with non-stick grill spray and started to put down the food.
PICT0043.jpg

The fatty came off first, after almost three hours. I foiled it and put in the small cooler. When the turkey, which was layered, with bacon on top for added flavoring, reached 180 internal, I took it off and foiled it, in a separated cooler. I decided to go with a crushed pineapple, OJ, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, honey, cinanmmon and nutmeg glaze. The glaze was simmered, then pureed with an immersion blender. The last hour or so, of the ham, I glazed every 30 minutes or twice. When the ham reached an internal of 140 degrees, it was foiled and into the cooler, with the fatty, for about an hour. Then when the wife got home, from work, we carved everything up and the rest is history.
PICT0046.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0049.jpg

PICT0050.jpg

Happy New Year to all the Brethren! :icon_clown

YUMMO!

Everything looks really good. I'd sure like to have been able to try that fatty.

Tell you the truth, I had some of the left over filling and added some crumbled up bacon bits and put it on a Lender's bagel. It was so good. Makes a great spread, too!:biggrin:

Back