Breaking Into Comp Cooking

The best way is to just go for it. I learned more than my share just by showing up and realizing how little I knew. It is rare that I've met a team that won't talk to the new guy or won't give some tips and pointers. I've met great people and had great times. Also, if you have a local bbq shop...hang out there and meet the local teams. I'm lucky enough to have this and it has done wonders. I've actually learned how to make my chicken look cook worthy and not backyard. Welcome to the addiction.

I know this isn't my thread, but I've been watching it ever since it got posted. I'm literally going to practice all year and enter my first KCBS next year, in a town 45 minutes from my house. It's also where my daughter goes to college so I'm really familiar with the town.

The tip about letting them know you're a comp noob is something I didn't even think about. I've seen the team list for the last couple of years and I'm going against pros with pro rigs and big operations, and I'm gonna pull up with a few UDS' lol.

My main goal is to have fun. Do I want to get a call, who doesn't, do I think I can, of course or I wouldn't even pay the entry fee.

The trend now seems to be more individual meat cookers than a big trailer cooker. I have a three UDS setup and I've won a few 1st places. Best part about UDS, especially if they are homemade, the other teams will come ask to see it and start talking to ya.

The tip about letting them know you're a comp noob is something I didn't even think about. I've seen the team list for the last couple of years and I'm going against pros with pro rigs and big operations, and I'm gonna pull up with a few UDS' lol..

At most of the KCBS comps I have done around my parts, the KCBS reps make a point of asking at the cooks meeting if anyone is there for their first comp. Everyone welcomes them and then the reps have them stay after the meeting for a special session for the newbies to make sure all their questions are answered and give them a little extra time explaining how everything will work that weekend. It is really very welcoming.

At most of the KCBS comps I have done around my parts, the KCBS reps make a point of asking at the cooks meeting if anyone is there for their first comp. Everyone welcomes them and then the reps have them stay after the meeting for a special session for the newbies to make sure all their questions are answered and give them a little extra time explaining how everything will work that weekend. It is really very welcoming.

Spot on - I know I've been asked by a rep to "stroll" over and check up on a newbie cook neighbor to make certain they are on schedule, and see if they have any questions. I'm always happy to do it, because I get to stick out my hand and say hello to someone new! That's where the "have fun" part comes into play.

Have you looked into the costs associated with doing it very much yet?

Well, it becomes an even more expensive hobby if you aren't winning some money. $300 entry fees and $500+ in meat isn't something I plan to do 10 times a year if I'm not at least covering costs part of the time. I love to cook too, but I'm not going to drop $1000+ for the pleasure of doing it each time many times over through the year, I just personally can't justify it. More power to those that do, but you may have 60 teams in a comp and the majority didn't take home a dime. I too have no delusions of grandeur, and am just hoping I can cover costs once in a while and have fun doing it.

Also, as you mentioned the logistics, I found it to be a ton of work just in my driveway...that is definitely something to take into consideration as well. It's certainly a labor of love.

Edit - after reading my post, I wanted to make sure I wasn't coming across as negative. These are just some of the things I observed as I have been learning and preparing this year. If I would've known all this from day 1, I still would've done it. I'm just a pragmatic person.

Suds,

Yes, I did look into the cost....and it scared the bejeezus out of me. It's big money to get there, big effort to pull it off, and roll the dice with no sure bet.

I'm just exploring options here.....

Just some advice... Buy bigger pants. I gained 50lbs since December. Problem is it is one bite Bbq but my God it tastes so good I can't eat just one bite. At least I will die happy. :)

The trend now seems to be more individual meat cookers than a big trailer cooker. I have a three UDS setup and I've won a few 1st places. Best part about UDS, especially if they are homemade, the other teams will come ask to see it and start talking to ya.

Too funny, as I only have one that's 12 years old that my brother made for me and it alone is not enough. I just drilled the holes and burnt out my first build tonight to increase the cooking space. I got 4 barrels and building them one at a time and have a flatbed trailer that I'm going to haul them on along with the char griller.

It's going to fit right in with our team name, Jakesville Farm (our backyard cook out spot, garden, orchard, apiary, chicken coop, and just all around great place to be) it's my parents house that I grew up in that the wife and I bought. It's also wher I learned to grill as a kid and did all the grilling for the family. So a trailer full of UDS' is going to be one jakey looking rig.

Sorry for btb posts, but do the wife and I have to join KCBS, register the team name to do a comp?

If yes,which I'm guessing is the case, does my reg cover the team or do I can do the family plan that covers the team and wife.

No you don't have to. Unless it's a Sam's Club tour competition then you do. I think that's the only ones you have to be kcbs registered team. Kcbs membership is good for getting into Restaurant Depot. We use ours for that a lot.

Back