Chuck Roast

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
Still trying to get a chuck roast to turn out the way I want it. Cooked another one yesterday and took the internal temp up to 208 before it probed tender. The probe went in with no resistance. After taking it off and letting it rest, it still would not pull, and I wound up having to slice it. It's good, but I wanted pulled. I worry about it drying out cooking it up past that temp. Yesterday I actually put a water pan in the GF and the roast came out just beautiful, and tastes great. I smoked it at about 250-275 range. I'm thinking I need to lower the temp and let it cook longer to pull it. I cook in pans, and at about the 4 hour mark I covered the pan with foil. I'm thinking maybe I actually need to wrap it tightly. Taste, color and all is on point, it just won't pull. Any ideas on what I need to change?

It takes X amount of time at Y internal temp to gelatinize all the collagen, you can certainly pull it (as in, take it off the smoker) at 195-205 and let it rest a long time in a warm oven, or go down to 200-225 and let it finish on the smoker

Back