Bought a Weber Kettle to Vs. my Kamado Joe

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
After having a Kamado Joe for over a year I'm starting to doubt the thing. I think it does great chicken and steaks and anything "roasted". Ribs I can't comment on because I only tried them twice (not a huge pork fan). I think it's terrible at Brisket. Every brisket I did was dry and barely edible. If I did fat side up, the bottom was worthless beef jerky no matter how low or how long I cooked it for.

The Kamado is pretty good and can hold 250 degrees for 12 hours with ease. But I'm not convinced that the 200 pounds of weight and $1,000 price is worth it. Maybe if you lived in Fargo and wanted to cook in the winter it would be good. But I'm from Texas where winter is 75 degrees. I'm convinced a Weber Kettle 22.5" can do just as good, so I bought one to see if I'm right.

The loser goes on CraigsList.

when doing brisket did u use a diffuser so it was indirect? my buddies dad does brisket all the time and never has issues

when doing brisket did u use a diffuser so it was indirect? my buddies dad does brisket all the time and never has issues

Yes I used the diffuser. But the heat source is still coming from the bottom with no real way to escape it. Maybe add multiple diffusers? You cant move things around or block it off. Also when doing things such as prime rib the grease drips on the diffuser and burns and leaving a nasty taste to the meat. It will easily ruin a $80 prime rib that way. I just think having the heat source coming from under the meat is not good. In my opinion it's just not true indirect cooking and is the kamado's weakness.

This is all just my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty of people that could cook award winning brisket on it. That person is not me. I'm just not sold on the design. Also it's almost 200 pounds and all you get is 18" of grill space. Yes you can stack, but things get silly at that point. Maybe the Kettle will cause me frustration and I will love the Kamado again. Right now I just don't. I know it's not apples vs apples, but I'm curious to see what a $150 kettle can do against it.

Last edited:
Don't sell your kamado. Use the kettle for everything you don't like about the kamado, and the kamado for what isn't possible in the kettle.

Don't sell your kamado. Use the kettle for everything you don't like about the kamado, and the kamado for what isn't possible in the kettle.

That's a thought. I'll play with the Kettle for a bit and see what about it I like. I just don't want a patio full of cookers. On some videos on YouTube and people will have 3-4 different cookers on their patio or backyard. I understand why, just not sure I want that to be me.

Have you tried using a drip pan? Raise it up off the deflector with crushed foil or similar just for a slight amount of dead air space between the deflector/pan. You will end up with some awesome drippings for making gravy etc.

+1 to a drip pan

Or, a water pan. One of the things that makes the WSM work so well is that giant metal bowl right above the coals. Some people just put foil on it. Some fill it with sand or something else to act as a heat sink, but I think using water is the best (even though it means more clean up).

This should be good. Would love to hear the results.

....said the guy who has a few Webers.....

"18.5" WSM / Weber Performer / Weber Genesis S-320 / Weber Genesis S-310 / 22.5" WSM"

....that's an idea.....but there isn't anything that's not possible on the kettle......
Buddy of mine's pizza @ 1000f.......
IMG_3104.jpg

Fix 'em up.....another buddy of mine likes copper....
9final.jpg

"Yes you can stack, but things get silly at that point."
Pretty simple to add on if it helps.........
(Another buddy from Australia)
hatu5una.jpg

You can do quite a bit with a MacGyvered up Upper Deck.......
KenBBQ5782011014.jpg

Don't send out for Chinese take-out, just fire the lump disco.......
Wokabilly7-20-13019.jpg

Things will run all nite....with or without you...
RebellionDogs6-21-13011-1.jpg

Only briskets that didn't come out were my fault, not the cookers....
OCT9brisket2012033.jpg

Ribs come out OK........
FathersDay2013015.jpg

Bake a pie.........
Pie3044.jpg

That's a thought. I'll play with the Kettle for a bit and see what about it I like. I just don't want a patio full of cookers. On some videos on YouTube and people will have 3-4 different cookers on their patio or backyard. I understand why, just not sure I want that to be me.

Patio full isn't such a bad thing...........
Pie3001.jpg

attached_photo.jpg

You can do this if you'd like:
Jan29Danaedad062.jpg

Use it in good heath !!!

Cook up some BBQ......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190049

* * * ** "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"* **

I have a ceramic and kettle. You can get great results off both. I can never decide which one I like better. I guess it depends which one I'm using at the time.

I do like the kettle better for straight up grilling for some reason.

I'm sure there's plenty of people that could cook award winning brisket on it.

:becky:

Check your therm, make sure it's calibrated. Use a drip pan with air space as described above. Heat is coming from the bottom, so fat side down to protect brisket. No water IMO, boils off too fast, and you could get steam burns when opening the lid. Cook till probe tender, let it rest and cool down gradually.. then you are done.

See, I've been thinking of going the other way - I have a kettle now and was thinking of getting a kamado - but was looking closely at the Primo XL. (only problem is the price tag)

I like that cooker because of the oval shape, you can do true indirect. They even sell an iron divider that lets you physically separate the charcoal basket. Not sure if the resulting space is big enough for a full packer though.

I've done 3 or 4 full packers with my kettle and had mixed success. The main thing I don't like is having to replenish the coals constantly during an overnight cook. Using the snake method I've had good results, but still inconsistent.

I've read that the air management is much more efficient with a kamado and that you can go much longer with one load of coals. Can anyone comment on this?

See, I've been thinking of going the other way - I have a kettle now and was thinking of getting a kamado - but was looking closely at the Primo XL. (only problem is the price tag)

I like that cooker because of the oval shape, you can do true indirect. They even sell an iron divider that lets you physically separate the charcoal basket. Not sure if the resulting space is big enough for a full packer though.

I've done 3 or 4 full packers with my kettle and had mixed success. The main thing I don't like is having to replenish the coals constantly during an overnight cook. Using the snake method I've had good results, but still inconsistent.

I've read that the air management is much more efficient with a kamado and that you can go much longer with one load of coals. Can anyone comment on this?

I have a vision kamado (comparable to the big green egg L), and I was able to fit a 14lb packer in it and results were pretty good. Given the fact it was my first brisket everyone raved about the food. I'm also looking into the primo because of the oval shape, but the new kamado joe's have the divide and conquer set up. maybe look into that. Primo price tag is hefty, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Also it is made in the good ole US of A

Ceramic is awesome with fuel and dialing in for overnight.

Since I started cooking higher temps. That not issue with my weber anymore cause it easy to stay at 300 and my cooks take no longer than 6 hours usually.

You will be pleased with both. I would love the oval shape ceramic.

I have a kettle and a kamado. Love em both. Everytime I have the thought of letting one or the other go I can't. For the extra long/overnigth cooks I fire up the kamado and let it do it's thing with hardly any effort as it purrs forever extremely effeciently and no hassle. For shorter smokes, super high heat grilling, and the EXTRA space I love the Weber.

Keep both for a while and let it go later if you really feel one or the other is better for you.

Back