THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Only Nixon could go to China."

I go out of my way to help and encourage every black cook I see at contests.
Yes, I'm the stereotypical fat, white, middle class, middle aged man that makes up the majority of the population on KCBS cook teams in the Southeast. Yes, my online handle and 1864 slouch hat I wear at competitions may make some black folks think my other outfit might be a sheet with a pointed hood.

If figure any people of color brave enough to try their hand at what must surely look like a WASP Good Old Boys club deserve to be reached out to even more than I usually do for new cooks.

Hopefully black teams that are embraced by other cooks that on the surface at least appear to fit the redneck racist stereotype will see that all shades of people are welcome on the BBQ circuit and any cooks who actually do promote bigotry will realize that such attitudes will not be tolerated any more.

Beyond that, I guess it's up to well-known cooks like Neil who get good media exposure to convince more black folks give competition BBQ a try.

I don't ask this because I think the teams or organizations shun anyone. I have always been welcomed with open arms. The bbq community is awesome.

The reason I ask about black people is because they were integral to the creation of bbq in this country. I don't ask about golf or tennis or NASCAR because most black folks just aren't exposed to those things when they are growing up. But you'd be hard pressed to find a black person that didn't have an Uncle Jimmy or Big Mama that barbecued every holiday.

I'm not personally sure the question holds in value or validity. Those that want to and are able to, do compete. For others, it's purely their choice to not to for whatever the reason.
I frequent a Q here in vegas that is owned and ran by two black men. One is a baker, the other is an all around cook. The meat that man prepares is AMAZING and done so on some shoddy 50gallon barrels cut in half. I happened to have my rig loaded up when I stopped by one after noon and stood outside with him for 30mins shootin the gums with him about Q and his heritage regarding it. Never once did he express his interest in competition or my hand in it.
I guess some folk just don't care.

@jbcain I think the question hold a lot of validity. How can you choose not to compete if you don't know competitions exist? How many contests are marketed to areas with a large black population? Promoters market to areas that they are familiar with. I'm not mad at them. I would probably do the same thing.

I'm trying to make people aware of an area that is underserved. Believe it or not, there are some black people that make enough money to compete if they so desired. They just haven't been informed. When you were shootin the gums with the black guy in Vegas, did you mention the contest? Did you invite him to visit? Can't have an interest in something you don't know about.

@jbcain I think the question hold a lot of validity. How can you choose not to compete if you don't know competitions exist? How many contests are marketed to areas with a large black population? Promoters market to areas that they are familiar with. I'm not mad at them. I would probably do the same thing.

I'm trying to make people aware of an area that is underserved. Believe it or not, there are some black people that make enough money to compete if they so desired. They just haven't been informed. When you were shootin the gums with the black guy in Vegas, did you mention the contest? Did you invite him to visit? Can't have an interest in something you don't know about.

True on many points, including the probability of just not knowing. But we did talk about my smoker and kcbs and what not. still didn't seem much interested.

I think you nailed it with your comment about golf or tennis Neil. They haven't been exposed to competition BBQ so they don't compete. I never would have been without my boss watching BBQ Pitmasters and then walking into my office one day telling me he signed us up for a competition. I didn't even know their were local competitions before he told me I was doing it with him. Heck, I didn't even know BBQ Pitmasters was on TV.

I believe there are more Mexican teams than Black in IBCA.

Guilty!

For real though, I wondered the same thing and I think a few folks on here are right to say it may be a cultural thing. However, I don't it's a money thing, there are more middle class African Americans than there ever was.

I tell my black colleagues about my competition endeavors and bring them some of my BBQ after a comp and they go on about how good it is, but we talk little about competing and more about cooking.

I had one guy tell me that he thought the smoke came from the water you spray on the coals?!?!? Obviously my friends can't cook.

My wife's friends have been begging me to cook at their office (mostly black)....it's just funny for anyone to beg a Mexican American to cook some BBQ...lol.

For some reason I think you hit the nail on the head in a number of your statements.

I don't ask this because I think the teams or organizations shun anyone. I have always been welcomed with open arms. The bbq community is awesome.
I couldn't agree more! I have never seen any one shunned at a competition. White, blank, orange, or green. (OK, maybe the green guy but he was just strange.)

The reason I ask about black people is because they were integral to the creation of bbq in this country. I don't ask about golf or tennis or NASCAR because most black folks just aren't exposed to those things when they are growing up. But you'd be hard pressed to find a black person that didn't have an Uncle Jimmy or Big Mama that barbecued every holiday.
This may be your most telling statement. To me, it seems the people that are at comps are the ones that didn't grow up with or have the 'Heritage' of BBQ. We (yes, I include myself), grew up with thinking that BBQ was something you either put on a bun (read hamburger) or got at a restaurant. It wasn't something that you could easily do at home.

For those of us that are now competing, I think it may be the new fascination with the product. Proving to our selves that we to can create this mystical food product. By the time we actually start doing well enough in competitions, we have grown in to the community that we would miss desperately if we left it.

I really think that promotion is the key and with that, he right kind of promotion. One of the comments that I heard when 'BBQ Pitmasters' first came out was how this would show people that this is something that could be done by the 'Average Joe'. Unfortunately, all the first season showed was that even an accomplished chef couldn't get it right and I could see the potential rookie say, why should I even try?

Last year we did a competition in Milwaukee in while not a ‘blighted’ area, not one of the best either. The organizer had us set up on a side street that had very little foot traffic where most if not all of the interaction was between teams. To get to the awards, we got to walk down the main festival and found that they were having a rib cook with what seemed to me to be 15 to 20 teams. They had ton’s of traffic and yet because they were right in the middle of their competition, no time to talk to anyone. So anyone that was interested were unable to get information on how to join in.

I put it to the organizers to reach out to the community to get new people no matter what their race (yes, even the green ones) the information and give them a comfort level to join us.

I never notice color. Around our parts we have folks of all colors. Granted it is a major minority.

From what some of my black friends have told me. Their 'traditional bbq' is more grilling, than low and slow. They do meats that do not require overnight cooking. Not to say that some dont, but they were more inclined to do chicken, ribs and rib tips. Along with hot dogs, sausage and hamburgers. Not sure if that has any input, because i have tried to recruit them into the bbq world.

We do have numerous CBJ classes in the Chicago area. Do they specifically go advertise down in the inner city? No. I dont think they advertise anywhere but kcbs.us?

Now this is for my multiple friends from Chi-town. Steph could probably answer more on that. But these are what i got out of it.

Most of us who have had some success know that you don't go out and cook the BBQ you and your family/friends like, you cook what the judges are looking for. It may not be the best BBQ, but it is what the judges are expecting. How do you change your grandpa's recipe and compromise something so personal to you just to try and please some strangers?

THIS is exactly the problem with Chili Cook-offs. Now when I do any food comp I cook to please me and the public and to have fun. I refuse to intentionally cook food I do not like. Maybe some of the other folks for who BBQ is a way of life refuse for the same reason.

It really should be best food wins.

I would have never gotten involved with or exposed to Comps for that matter if it had not been for this place or Mista daring me to put my money where my mouth was so to speak.
Same here. Neil recruited me to compete back in 2006. That being said, I'm always mouthing off to folks I meet about the great folks in competition BBQ. I have had many offers to come out and eat but none have developed the passion to compete. My work is not yet done.

Sylvie

Its neil's fault? Dont forget me in this talk.

Ok Im white but I cook in the Ghetto in so cal.

Neil whats really funny is that we live in a state that as of today all teachers from k-12 must teach as part of history transgender and all that stuff. FOurth graders get the history of GLBT...I am ofpen to all but how about teaching everyone about bbq? Black and white.

I think there are several reason why black teams do not compete. One reason is that most people who BBQ dont even know about the BBQ comps that go on in their area. If you are not checking KCBS or one of the other BBQ associations you dont hear about the comps. Also, as others have said, most like cooking for their family and friend and are not really interested in cooking in comps. ANother reason could be money, It does take some dough to compete in the BBQ comps. And some may think that it is not worth the risk to put out a couple hundred dollars for a minimal return on their investment. I think the interest is there with BBQ Pitmaters playing serveral times this year. I always have freinds come out to my comps and they always enjoy themselves, but they have no interest in competing.

I think there are several reasons why more blacks dont compete, some not even being related to BBQ. Maybe one day someone could put their finger on it:confused:

> they were integral to the creation of bbq in this country.

UNDERSTATEMENT. I choose and use spices of a creole origin out of a respect for bbq origins AND I use this as part of my schtick in MBN presentations...

Neil, I did a rough count. In GBA it's roughly 10% of the teams are black. There are also a few teams that are integrated.

I never notice color. Around our parts we have folks of all colors. Granted it is a major minority.

From what some of my black friends have told me. Their 'traditional bbq' is more grilling, than low and slow. They do meats that do not require overnight cooking. Not to say that some dont, but they were more inclined to do chicken, ribs and rib tips. Along with hot dogs, sausage and hamburgers. Not sure if that has any input, because i have tried to recruit them into the bbq world.

We do have numerous CBJ classes in the Chicago area. Do they specifically go advertise down in the inner city? No. I dont think they advertise anywhere but kcbs.us?

Now this is for my multiple friends from Chi-town. Steph could probably answer more on that. But these are what i got out of it.

Scottie hit hit the nail with the hammer. Growing up in Chicago I never knew about overnight cooks for brisky and butts we only knew sausages, ribs, rib tips, chicken and the occasional steak.

Butts and brisket eluded me until I joined here back in 06.

Allow me to give this thread a little "spice."

You know... Richard Pryor's humorist depiction of what would happen if the Amytiville House spoke to a Black Family comes to mind as relatable to the utter financial futility and overall irrelevance of modern competition in the first place. The sport does not lend itself to practicality... and all that implies. Remember the claim in Love, Peace and BBQ where everytime a certain competitor was asked how he counts his trophies he goes, "one thousand, two thousand, that one cost me 3 thousand... " The winner was not counting winnings either.

I also have first hand knowledge of what it was like for Black competitors to break into the competition culture in the 1980s and 1990's. It was damned uncomfortable being around that many rednecks. DAMNED uncomfortable, dang right vicious in the case of a few Tennessee competitions I witnessed. WE are not talking about the blind box system either.

THANKFULLY, Modern competitions (LOL at myself as I am thinking my experiences 20-30 years ago were so aged) are much more cosmopolitan due to the huge influx of the more educated members entering the sport.

But alas, one of the lasting influences of racism is running even of no one is chasing you.

My friend, Dr. Cornell West, one said, and this is actually related to the whole thing here, there are two hours in the week that are still nationally segregated, one is the dining hour and the other is worshiping hour. Perhaps BBQ competitions can be a way to break that ice?

I don't relate to people in groups; I can relate to people as individuals. Matter of fact I think treating and legislating to people in groups is detrimental to our society. If an individual wants to compete and is obstructed from doing so I want to know about it. Otherwise it's just individual preference.

One of my dad's former bosses was a great Libertarian and he had a saying that I'll never forget: "People are gonna do what people are gonna do". Simple and profound.

I don't relate to people in groups; Yes you do... you are relating to a group right now. I can relate to people as individuals. Matter of fact I think treating and legislating to people in groups is detrimental to our society. If an individual wants to compete and is obstructed from doing so I want to know about it. Otherwise it's just individual preference.

One of my dad's former bosses was a great Libertarian and he had a saying that I'll never forget: "People are gonna do what people are gonna do". Simple and profound.

Wow, this profound sentiment should have been used when they were shooting water cannons at certain groups after they were excluded from things as a group... even though they belong to another group... Americans.

Hilarious. Blanket concepts like this is why the "libertarian" views never became "great." Frankly, and the present company is excepted from this, it is often perpetrated from someone who is part of a "group" that has rarely been marginalized or excluded from anything based on what "group" they were in.

So what happens when an individual is obstructed from doing something because they are part of a "group?" So not letting an individual into a college or school because they are part of a "group" that is not allowed in Montgomery, Alabama? that was detrimental? So legislation that helped "groups" like World War II veterans go to school on the GI bill should that not have been legislated? Legislation that made it legal for a certain "group" to vote or own a home within the perimeters of another "group" ... that was detrimental...? I suppose so, especially when one "group" had members of another "group" they did not want living next to them move in because the legislation saw fit to stop some unfair practice. Being able to chose what "group" lives next to you by lawful means... that is as American as Jim Crow? Free enterprise based on the ability to pay... cool, just as long as you are a member of the right "group." Which is approved by the "group" itself.

Groups? Women did not pressure for the vote as individuals, and their right to vote was given to a "group." As consumers, we are a group as well, and I doubt anyone would object to the legislation that protects you as a consumer. Our mothers, fathers, those who are senior citizens, if you think their medicare or social security (both legislated to a "group") detrimental, please by all means, go rip it from their wrinkly hands.

Hey, I talk to people as individuals too and often speak to black "groups" and I have always wanted to know the same thing as Neil, especially after I eat at their table, or they eat at mine. Why don't you compete? The answer they give has a lot to do with what I said. There is both a monetary and practical component to why as well as a whole lot of racially centered tensional histories depending on where you came from.

Back