THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BoLiles

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bo
Well, another year older and my wife (& infant son!) and the in-laws are taking me to Austin for a short little trip. So, the goal, Brethren, is how I fit in as much barbecue as possible in 2 days?! The challenge: I'm the only true obsessive barbecue lover in the family. My father-in-law likes it a lot, but rarely eats it. My wife has super good taste in 'cue but burns out after one meal...the rest of them? Who knows! But it's going to be a fun challenge sneaking in as much brisket and ribs and whatever else I can find. I need inspiration for my own cooks here in North Texas. :wink:

The list so far:
The priorities: Louie Mueller & Franklin Barbecue
The trailers: la Barbecue, Micklethwait Craft Meats & Valentina's Tex-Mex BBQ
The wildcards: ???

I'll post plenty of picks Sunday night and Monday!

I haven't went out and tried any of the fancy places yet. I want to one day just so I can say I did and in the off chance I might learn something. Not saying I know it all, hell, far from it, just not sure how much they are willing to share with each customer that walks in.

As long as you know that you will be spending half the day to get to eat at Franklin's. At least, that is my understanding...

Happy Birthday. I'm in Austin from the UK at the moment and have been cramming in as much as I can. Hit Franklin yesterday and it was easily worth the wait. I got there at 8am and there were only about 20 people there. I got out at about 12.30...so half a day is about right. They have a few chairs there (which I benefited from) but you may want to bring your own just in case. Obviously the brisket is the main event and it was great, but the pork ribs were a surprise hit. They do beef ribs on Saturday so might be worth trying them.

Mickelthwait was recommended to my by 2 locals, who are generally less willing to entertain the lines at Franklin, and La Barbecue. It was great but I wish I has ordered the sausage as it looked excellent...next time. I Had brisket and sliced pork shoulder.

Good luck and enjoy the weekend.

Torgs

ps. you can follow my bbq tour on instagram @billysmokes

Happy Birthday. I'm in Austin from the UK at the moment and have been cramming in as much as I can. Hit Franklin yesterday and it was easily worth the wait. I got there at 8am and there were only about 20 people there. I got out at about 12.30...so half a day is about right. They have a few chairs there (which I benefited from) but you may want to bring your own just in case. Obviously the brisket is the main event and it was great, but the pork ribs were a surprise hit. They do beef ribs on Saturday so might be worth trying them.

Mickelthwait was recommended to my by 2 locals, who are generally less willing to entertain the lines at Franklin, and La Barbecue. It was great but I wish I has ordered the sausage as it looked excellent...next time. I Had brisket and sliced pork shoulder.

Good luck and enjoy the weekend.

Torgs

ps. you can follow my bbq tour on instagram @billysmokes

^^^What's great about Stiles Switch is they don't do the "one run and done" kind of service - they have food all day (items may come and go, but there'll be something) plus there's a patio, sometimes bands playing, beer, etc. Nice folks, great atmosphere, excellent BBQ.

If you can swing it, sneak out early Saturday morning and head to Lexington to Snow''s - it's around an hour's drive and they open at 8am. Get a pound of everything and you'll be glad you did. Do not miss the pork steak there. You can swing by Meyer's drive thru in Elgin on the way back and get some packs of awesome sausage to take home.

You could also head to Lockhart about 30 min. away and go to Smitty's/Black's/Kruez (pork chop at Kruez is a must). if yer people aren't in for all 3, there's other stuff they can do like shopping while you eat.

It's your birthday and you'll eat if you want to!

John Mueller Meat Company is farking outstanding. I'd say Franklin's brisket is the best I've had, but the overall experience of John Mueller's was my favorite I think - it's like a yard party with incredible BBQ (and beans - and believe it or not, squash).

Get sausage everywhere!

I strongly suggest a cooler to load up and take home.

All great suggestions...I am hoping to mix it up both days! I am also interested to see where my pulled pork (my best item) holds up against those joints there that do serve it. :p

Well, it's in the books so to speak. Didn't eat near enough 'Q but I did cross of #1 and #4 from the 2013 Texas Monthly Top 50 list. The trip started with a great birthday gift of bbq gear and Aaron Franklin's book from my in-laws and then kicked off with a drive on our way to Austin through Taylor and the famous Louie Mueller BBQ (#4 on said list).

Tex7Srr.jpg

tKUJOmD.jpg

The line was only 20 or so deep, the place is steeped in history and smoke stained walls - very cool atmosphere. I really felt the tradition of Central Texas barbecue, more so than I have anywhere else. The food was really really good. I am going to make a semi-bold claim here...I know we all take pride in our passion and skill as barbecue nerds and obsessives...but the brisket here was something I have NEVER seen replicated from a backyard or 99% of bbq joints. I'll address Franklin in a second. Mueller had really good lean brisket, but the moist/fatty brisket was AMAZING. They are heavy on the pepper, but it works. The ribs were great, the sausage had wonderful flavor but needed more snap in the casing. The pork was very solid. The thin mop sauce was interesting, and made me want to experiment. Until Sunday happened, it was the greatest barbecue meal of my life.

H5iIMvP.jpg

Franklin Barbecue.

H5iIMvP.jpg

ZDJPesu.jpg

vQe5u1z.jpg

I get it, the line is insane. It makes waiting on barbecue either seems epic or idiotic. We were there for 5 hours, 30 minutes of which where spent eating. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype. But, the staff of Franklin's joint were exceptional, the coffee trailer helped, as did the soda fountain being available. I met Aaron, and he is a genuine solid wonderfully authentic dude. He signed my book and was very approachable. So, was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY 100% YES. The brisket. It exists and the hype - might not do it justice. The salt and pepper was perfectly balanced - Mueller could learn from the young Franklin. The fatty brisket melted in your mouth, but the real shocker? The LEAN. I have never ever had that good of lean brisket. Perfectly tender, punch of flavor, with a line of ready-to-dissolve rendered fat to top it all off. I don't know they have that juicy of a product with a bark that isn't soggy! It is the ultimate standard for brisket. The pork spares were top notch, the sausage was snappy and great, the pulled pork very good and the turkey was the best I've had from a bbq joint. I might plan my next trip around a 5 lb to go order in order to skip the line, but I can say I have eaten the best bbq of my life and it will be hard to top.

u7oD0XV.jpg

20Y1SdN.jpg

NdOfp0D.jpg

g6VGee1.jpg

ynNN8Bh.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
^^^Fantastic! Louie Mueller's is high on my list of places to try. I occasionally check for cheap flights to Austin in hopes I can go and stuff myself again. Yes, the line at Franklin's is long, but if I was with the right people I'd do it again. The brisket is mind-bending.

Thanks for the report!

^^^Fantastic! Louie Mueller's is high on my list of places to try. I occasionally check for cheap flights to Austin in hopes I can go and stuff myself again. Yes, the line at Franklin's is long, but if I was with the right people I'd do it again. The brisket is mind-bending.

Thanks for the report!

Mind-bending is the perfect term for it!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back