THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
OK. So I finally got some HOH to try and was glad I did. It's a great mix of not too sweet/not too salty with a very welcoming lingering subtle heat on the back end. Perfect on these ribs. Now, I've NEVER smoked baby backs before, so this was a double experiment. The kettle was filled with Kingsford Comp, a big chunk of apple and some oak chips (Leftover JD) generously mixed throughout the unlit. About 10 lit briques were placed in the center and the kettle was brought up to 240 when the BBs went on. I cut the racks in half to fit on the available kettle grill space. After about an hour I cranked it up to 275~300 (Variable winds) to hasten the cook. After another hour they were close to being done, but we still had some more grilling to do (Chicken for this week) and needed the grate space so I finished the ribs in the oven at 325 on a rack loosly covered in foil since I figured they had absorbed enough smoke by this time. I didn't use any sauce, but then I never do on spares either. Redhot made some nice baked beans and I made my go to slaw for sides. These came out perfectly bite from the bone done after a total cook time of a little less than three hours, but at a higher temp than low-n-slow. The rub was excellent! No sauce for dipping was needed on these at all. I have a feeling we will be doing BBs again in the future. Thanks for looking!

ribs1.jpg

Gotta try this stuff...

ribs2.jpg

ribs3.jpg

ribs4.jpg

The Baked Bean Stuff - Redhot used canned Great Northern Beans - 3 fifteen OZ cans and 6 oz of bacon on the top

beans2.jpg

The bacon also got a little dusting of the HOH...

beans.jpg

ribs6.jpg

ribs5.jpg

Plated. I think by now everybody's seen my slaw recipe.

ribs7.jpg

Also, got a fairly decent smoke ring on these too! Now, if I had used a sharp knife...

ribs.jpg

Guerry, EVERYTHING looks great! I was kind of surprised to hear you've never smoked BB ribs before, although I bet you'll be doing them again!

Guerry, EVERYTHING looks great! I was kind of surprised to hear you've never smoked BB ribs before, although I bet you'll be doing them again!

I've always loved spares. These have been in our freezer for about 4 months (Have bought probably three 3 rack packs of spares that I've cooked since then) and just had to give them a whirl. Glad I did! They're pricy, but had much more meat than I was expecting, and were flavorfull to boot.

Nice job on the BBs Guerry! I love them too. Cooked 12 racks about a year ago for a family get together. I have not been able to afford them since. They are really meaty, from now on they are only for special occasions. Those beans and the slaw look great too. If you have a minute sometime drop me a link to your slaw recipe if you don't mind sharing.

Back