THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The inside of the WSCG lid is Stainless Steel, not Aluminum. Aluminum melts at 1218 f, Stainless Steel at 2550 F.

I wouldn't have expected Webber to use aluminum in the grill (just the ash basket) but someone said it was aluminum. There is no way it will melt if it is stainless steel without some serious effort beyond just being stupid.

Cool. Thanks. Does that affect the cook time?
Can it without

You can forward to 2:20 on this video to get an idea of the size. I'm sure a brisket and pork shoulder would fit on the bottom grate just fine too.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9HIIDd_SW0"]Weber - First Ever Summit Charcoal Grill - Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

ok boys - I put in my order and can have it (I think) on Saturday

Can anyone explain the gas starter - is this the way to go for low and slow?
Can I use regular old Kingsford?
Can I use wood splits for smoking or does it need to be chunks?

TIA for EVERYTHING

TIA for EVERYTHING

The gas starter can be used for either low and slow, or grilling. You'll just have to experiment with how long to keep it lit before turning it off.

Kingsford charcoal will work fine. Most people use lump, but there's absolutely no reason you can't use the old tried and true KBB.

I've used splits in a few charcoal cookers.....I would use small ones if you choose to go that route. I've noticed that anything very big can give off a bit of a harsh smoke due it smoldering too much. The other end of the coin is if you allow enough air flow it could ignite causing temperature fluctuations. It's definitely doable, but small chunks can be more user friendly.

The gas starter can be used for either low and slow, or grilling. You'll just have to experiment with how long to keep it lit before turning it off.

Kingsford charcoal will work fine. Most people use lump, but there's absolutely no reason you can't use the old tried and true KBB.

I've used splits in a few charcoal cookers.....I would use small ones if you choose to go that route. I've noticed that anything very big can give off a bit of a harsh smoke due it smoldering too much. The other end of the coin is if you allow enough air flow it could ignite causing temperature fluctuations. It's definitely doable, but small chunks can be more user friendly.
I bought a box of splits in error. They are also not hatchet friedly. I want to use em up

TIA for EVERYTHING

I use the gas starter for everything. For low and slow, use it sparingly, like only keep it on for 2-3 minutes. On my first cook, where I was using the bottom grate and tried to maintain 250-275, I kept the starter on for 5 minutes, left the vents open until it hit 200, when I chocked them down to sub smoke settings. Then it skyrocketed to 450 f before I shut all vents and it took 45 min to bring back to 250.

I have only used Kingsford, so it works

I would go with chunks, but try the splits, it might work.

Hey guys,
I can weigh in on this a little bit since I used a Big Green Egg XL, KJ BJ, and now the Summit.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be unhappy with either. My personal preference is the Summit, but I'd be totally happy with any of them. They cook so similar and are almost exactly the same side.

I like the all around convenience of the Summit and Weber's customer service. I also like the versatility of being able to raise the charcoal grate and have it operate like a kettle when the situation calls for it. It's really nice that everything has a spot. charcoal, table, storage, heat deflector storage (underneath), etc. I also don't worry about cracking anything or forgetting to tighten the straps.

KJ would be my second choice simply because I like their divide and conquer system, ash pan, and customer service better BGE. They are also much more innovative.

The main issue I had with my BGE was the hinge never felt quite right to me. Sometimes it would get really loosy goosy when it got hot. Also, my gasket fried the first few cooks (...that and the gasket fried in the first few cooks but whatever.) My customer service experience was great until the store let my "grill guy" go and replaced him with a vegetarian with limited people skills and grill knowledge (I'm not making this up.) I realized BGE's customer service is largely dependent and the person you have in front of you and therefore it's not consistent.

Having said that, the BGE XL may be my least favorite of the bunch but it's still all kinds of awesome and you can't go wrong with it.

One point I will NOT concede. I do NOT think ceramic is better just because it's ceramic. There are some advantages but there are also TONS of drawbacks to ceramic...just like there are plusses and minuses to metal grills. When I lay out all the pro and cons of each material side by side, the metal works better FOR ME. Everybody has to decide for themselves.

Get the one your gut tells you is the right one for you. You'll be happy with any of them, I promise...Or be smart about it and have your wife picks the one she thinks is prettiest. That way she'll be more on board with the decision and that's always a good thing. I'm promise you'll be Totally happy with whichever one she picks.

Here's some picks of a 20 pound brisket I smoked yesterday (see signature). I'm working on getting a Youtube video up tonight or tomorrow about the cook and it will have a TON of information about the smoker if you guys are interested. I love this smoker, but seriously I think you'll be happy with any of those 3.

Hey guys,
I can weigh in on this a little bit since I used a Big Green Egg XL, KJ BJ, and now the Summit.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be unhappy with either. My personal preference is the Summit, but I'd be totally happy with any of them. They cook so similar and are almost exactly the same side.

I like the all around convenience of the Summit and Weber's customer service. I also like the versatility of being able to raise the charcoal grate and have it operate like a kettle when the situation calls for it. It's really nice that everything has a spot. charcoal, table, storage, heat deflector storage (underneath), etc. I also don't worry about cracking anything or forgetting to tighten the straps.

KJ would be my second choice simply because I like their divide and conquer system, ash pan, and customer service better BGE. They are also much more innovative.

The main issue I had with my BGE was the hinge never felt quite right to me. Sometimes it would get really loosy goosy when it got hot. Also, my gasket fried the first few cooks (...that and the gasket fried in the first few cooks but whatever.) My customer service experience was great until the store let my "grill guy" go and replaced him with a vegetarian with limited people skills and grill knowledge (I'm not making this up.) I realized BGE's customer service is largely dependent and the person you have in front of you and therefore it's not consistent.

Having said that, the BGE XL may be my least favorite of the bunch but it's still all kinds of awesome and you can't go wrong with it.

One point I will NOT concede. I do NOT think ceramic is better just because it's ceramic. There are some advantages but there are also TONS of drawbacks to ceramic...just like there are plusses and minuses to metal grills. When I lay out all the pro and cons of each material side by side, the metal works better FOR ME. Everybody has to decide for themselves.

Get the one your gut tells you is the right one for you. You'll be happy with any of them, I promise...Or be smart about it and have your wife picks the one she thinks is prettiest. That way she'll be more on board with the decision and that's always a good thing. I'm promise you'll be Totally happy with whichever one she picks.

Here's some picks of a 20 pound brisket I smoked yesterday (see signature). I'm working on getting a Youtube video up tonight or tomorrow about the cook and it will have a TON of information about the smoker if you guys are interested. I love this smoker, but seriously I think you'll be happy with any of those 3.

Can't wait for the movie. Orders the weber

Congrats! You are going to love it!

Make sure to share your experiances with it, with pictures.

Also, who did you order it from?

Back