THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A ceramic cooker will get above 1200° in the dome ?

I am not sure I would try that, but you wouldn't want to sear steaks up in the dome anyway. Down by the fire heck yeah. When I did my calzone cook I hit 750 about 4-4.5" above the felt line above the stone and the vents were only 2/3 open. It would have passed 800 in the dome, totally indirect if I let it, higher near the fire under the stone I am sure. And yes, people have managed to melt aluminum drip pans closer to the fire.

For searing though, it is not just the temp but also how the heat is transferred. If you get closer to the coals, the infra red radiant heating is what gives the nice even sear. That is also how my salamander works. The gas flame heats metal rods to a glowing red to get the radiant heat transfer to the food down below.

Ah, gotcha, I thought you were saying that ceramics would get hotter than the inside of the Weber lid could handle. I have no doubts that the Weber will get to 750°/800°

A campfire will get hot enough to melt a drip pan if it's close enough to the coals...

I believe the inside of the dome is, looks like it anyway. Maybe wbz or tony will chime in.

True on all points, but I don't think it for any Kamado to get over 1200° in the dome. Time will tell though.

I've heard of BGE owners going full nuclear and spinning the thermometer. That's probably pushing 1000 degrees at the dome..................but why in the world would anyone do that? The hottest I've ever cooked on my Egg was 600 for pizzas.

Some Egg owners say they go full Chernobyl to do clean burns. Again........why risk damaging the cooker (cracking bases and frying gaskets)?

Weber is a good company. I imagine they did their due diligence in design and the Summit will be safe for responsible high heat cooking without it melting down.

I've heard of BGE owners going full nuclear and spinning the thermometer. That's probably pushing 1000 degrees at the dome..................but why in the world would anyone do that? The hottest I've ever cooked on my Egg was 600 for pizzas.

Some Egg owners say they go full Chernobyl to do clean burns. Again........why risk damaging the cooker (cracking bases and frying gaskets)?

Weber is a good company. I imagine they did their due diligence in design and the Summit will be safe for responsible high heat cooking without it melting down.

Did I mention that I am a nervous buyer?? 😎🤔

I'm such a Weber-head that if I ever am looking to get one of these high-falutin' rigs I'd have to go WSCG.

Oh, and to those asking about nuclear temps for quick-searing a steak: try cooking on a charcoal chimney. Put a kettle charcoal grate on top and cook on that or put a cast iron pan on the grate. Try it!

Back