THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

f308gt4

Knows what a fatty is.
I finally got a chance to try it out for a few cooks. My observations:

Ash: Yes, there is more, but its not too bad, especially if you clean out your egg after each use. My guess is somewhere between 2X-3X the ash compared to lump.

Lighting: Normally, I light my lump with a blowtorch in a few spots. This technique did not really work well with the briquettes. The charcoal chimney works, but am not a big fan of using it. What I finally settled on was using a firestarter underneath the grate. This works really well, and gets me to temp within 30 min.

Temp: I used the Trader Joe's Natural Briquettes, and temp seemed to get almost as high as lump. I've gotten it to 650-700 with no issues at all. I have noticed that I need to use different vent settings to get the temps that I want, but not a big deal.

Cost: The Trader Joe's stuff is about $7 for 18 lbs. Current price of Lump at Walmart is $6.XX for 8.8 lbs. So you are getting more for your money with the briquettes. You can definitely buy cheaper briquettes, but I wanted the all natural stuff.

Re-use: I was able to reuse by gently stirring, and adding more briquettes. Notice I say gently stirring- the briquettes are fragile and will break apart if you are too rough. This is where having the High-Que really helps. Doesn't take much for the ash to just fall through.

Taste: I didn't notice any difference between the briquettes and lump, but that is likely due to using the "all-natural" charcoal. Don't know how it would be different if I used regular kingsford or similar.

I haven't used this for long cooks, and am not sure that it would work. The longest I did was about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I cooked some sweet potatoes at about 400 degrees for about an hour, then opened up the vents (temp went to 650 within a couple minutes) and grilled some steaks.

In conclusion, for regular grilling, this stuff is pretty good, and definitely beats the price of lump. I don't think I would try it for long cooks, since the ash production would likely be too much. But it should make a good alternative to lump for those quick backyard cooks.

Back