THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
I was starting to run low on charcoal. I picked up a bag of BOTW charcoal and did an evaluation of it.

Here I've cut open the bag to reveal the contains.

I separated it and put it into my storage container. Here are the pictures (Business card and 6” ruler for reference) and my general observations:
1/4 of this bag was large, very large or even giant size pieces. (See 1st and 3rd pic)
1/3 to 1/2 of this bag was medium size pieces. (See 2nd pic)
1/8 to 1/4 of this bag was small to dust size pieces. (See 3rd & 4th pics)

I threw out the stuff in the 4th pic. My opinion is that this is slightly better than the Lazzari Mesquite lump I've been buying but it was also a little over $3.00 more per bag. ($15.49 per 40 lbs vs. $12.19 per 40 lbs)

I recently picked up a bag of BOTW at Sam's for just under $10 for 20lb. I haven't emptied my bag like OP but from what I have used so far the distribution in size of pieces is very similar. I find it takes a bit more time with the heat gun to get it started but once running it burns hotter a little quicker. I think it brings my akorn up to temp just a bit quicker than the Frontier lump I was using and it definitely has a what I would describe as a harsher smell when coming to temp. Once at temp I don't notice it quite as much. I don't notice a harsher taste in the couple of pork tenderloins or burgers I have done with it so far.

I use it in my Good-One. I like the fact it does burn hotter than other lump. I dump the whole bag in my fire box and light it with a weed burner. It doesn't take much more time with this method. I will use it on the Akorn in a pinch, but like the RO for that. I find it easier to control temps with RO in the Akorn.

Back