Best knife for carving brisket?

I would agree with Jorge, might was well get the 14" length as that gives you the most options. One long clean slice is best for a clean cut.

OK, first a picture because you won't believe me if I tell you what it is first...

Attachments

• sk1610_800.jpg
    sk1610_800.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 538
I got the 12" Granton slicer for Christmas, and if someone buys me a brisket for my birthday, I will let you know how it works. :biggrin:

I like the 14 inch. If you are cooking flats or pretrimming brisket to fit turn in boxes at comps, i think the 12 inch would be fine. If you are cooking whole packers, i would go 14. I love mine.

Thanks, Brethren. You've all made the choice quite clear: 14" Slicer. Thanks for all the knife pics too! The slicer knife fight gave me a chuckle. :D

I believe it, it looks a lot like the old buffet carvers that were made by companies like Flint and Chicago Cutlery, and back in the 60's those were terrific slicing knives.

There are a lot of very nice blades available. Honestly, more important are good basic knife skills and keeping a sharp knife blade. The latter two are more important than the actual knife, for most of us non professionals, in my opinion. Just something to think about.

I've got great skills and a pretty decent knife selection to use, but I find that the best thing I have to cut brisket is my grandmother's 30 year old sears electric model. (yes, blasphemy I know).

****, if you have a damn bark like I do, the type that makes ****ing professional slicers almost walk out of the damn joint because it dulls their damn knives And if you slice your damn meat at about 3/4 of a damn inch to one inch like I damn do, and you often have to serve 400 plates in under an hour, but insist its a slice to order thing, then a damn pizza knife will do the trick

downward pressure will work for only the most tender damn brisket.

I know this ain't the choice of any competitor, cept maybe a damn one at the Taylor or something.

I got a graton damn edge too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a Victorinox 12 in. Granton, Dang that sucker is long. Can't wait till tomorrows brisket.

Shameless Plug

14 inch radial curved Wusthof
451736.jpg

Back