THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
So I'm cooking a SCA steak cookoff with my Davy Crockett this weekend, and they don't have power so I need a VERY small generator that isn't noisy.

I don't want to spend the cash for a Honda, but I do want quiet.

Recommendations por favor?

I guess it depends what you call cheap, and quiet. HF sells a small generator for $100. It isn't too loud, but compared to a Honda it is loud. Doubt you're going to find anything that quiet, without spending the $$. You might consider getting a 12v battery, and a converter.

edit: On a quick google search, I found this. 56 db is right around the same noise level of a Honda quiet generator. I don't know anything about this brand though. https://jet.com/product/Sportsman-1...bZhBuSs8paUJfQVT5mjYpIiIBiaod1mRoCWhwQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
y4RnPEdl.png

Check Facebook marketplace and craig’s List. I see Honda’s for sale regularly. Champion, Suzuki and a couple of others show up regularly, too.

The Davy is DC powerable, isn’t it? Could you get away with a deep cycle battery? You don’t need to cook very long.

I honestly dont know. After hearing a Honda EU3000is run I dont know if any others can be considered quiet. Sorry, no help.

Propane units by champion run about 76ish DB. And they dont stink like a gas or diesel unit does.

76 dB is not quiet! A Honda inverter generator runs at about 52dB. I can stand next to ours and hold a conversation in a normal voice level. Champion does make propane or dual fuel inverter genarators that run at less than 60dB

Harbor Freight Predator. I am sure some people will beat me up for suggesting it. I have the 3500 but they make a 2000. They are very quiet and relatively inexpensive. Will it last as long...I doubt it but I get the two year warranty and sleep fine at night.

76 dB is not quiet! A Honda inverter generator runs at about 52dB. I can stand next to ours and hold a conversation in a normal voice level. Champion does make propane or dual fuel inverter genarators that run at less than 60dB

Ron, I'm not sure how I got 76 in there. Mine is 68 db. And unless someones hearing is already shot you can have a "normal" conversation right by that. And I'm talking about a regular well priced unit, not a high end inverter unit. And I like having more power available than a unit like that has available. And it is quiet compared to a cheap HF or Northern unit.

Ron, I'm not sure how I got 76 in there. Mine is 68 db. And unless someones hearing is already shot you can have a "normal" conversation right by that. And I'm talking about a regular well priced unit, not a high end inverter unit. And I like having more power available than a unit like that has available. And it is quiet compared to a cheap HF or Northern unit.

Edit. I guess you were talking about the non-inverter HF generator which I am not sure why anyone would by. Those types of generators are cheap to begin with.

I’m sure many of you already understand the decibel scale - logarithmic intensity levels. But remember sound energy doubles with every 3dB increase. So ratings that are close in number are really quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back