Best bbq sauce on brisket

I also do au jus as well on the side. But I like the idea of mixing in a little BBQ sauce I may try that out sometime (probably more 80/20 than 50/50 though).

I hate to say to put anything on a brisket. But I totally understand the reason behind it. I have been given that puzzled look before, when I said I had no sauce. But if you can get it, I have found that Kinder's Hot mixed 50/50 with au jus works out pretty well. I like it better than using any of my homemade sauces. They don't deserve it

I agree with the no sauce policy, as i make my own rubs and dont think it needs it. However i sometimes wanna change things up and have a little sauce specially on left over sammies. I had the cooper's sauce in llano and i could drink it straight, it was served warm as most a the sauces i prefer. I wish i had that recipe! Lately ive been mixing something similar to Blu's, but with the aujus from the pulled pork or brisky, just havent got the consistency i like. Sause away if thats what youre into!

Back in the Day the pitmaster at Louie Mueller BBQ Fred Fountaine was being pestered for a Sauce what follows is his recipe for the only sauce served. As a kid I remember having it there. It's some fine stuff on beef I keep a jug around

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe*
By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster
Louie Muller BBQ

1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 ½ if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
¼ cup black pepper, or to taste
In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.
Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.

I thought sauce on brisket was a heresy? Don't like it personally. Wouldn't you rather be able to taste the meat?

There's a well respected restaurant in town that does "good" brisket...after eating it with all the sauce and crap I vowed NEVER again!

Not to bring up Franklin's again, but he shared his Espresso BBQ sauce recipes in "Texas Eats" — [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Eats-Heritage-Cookbook-Recipes/dp/076792150X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1374473656&sr=8-1"]Texas Eats: The New Lone Star Heritage Cookbook, with More Than 200 Recipes: Robb Walsh: 9780767921503: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61gfd699BvL.@@AMEPARAM@@61gfd699BvL[/ame]

It's very good for brisket as it's not sweet at all. A little savory with a good kick. I really like it. You can probably get by without the espresso if it's not easily available to you.

http://homemadebbqsauce.org/franklin-bbq-espresso-bbq-sauce/

This sauce uses molasses, which for me gives it more depth. It originally had all ketchup, but I have been slowly phasing it out for tomato sauce and more sweetener as needed. I usually start with a little less brown sugar for beef and then add until it is to my liking and usually end up with a little more brown sugar for chicken and ribs.

1 ¾ c Apple Cider Vinegar
½ C Water
1 ½ Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbl Black Pepper
1 Tbl Chili Powder
1 Tbl Paprika
1 Tbl Salt
¼ Tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Dry Mustard
1 Tsp Onion Powder
½ Tsp Garlic Powder
3 C Tomato Sauce
1 C Ketchup
1 C Molasses
1 C Brown Sugar
Place all ingredients except ketchup, molasses, and honey in 3 Qt saucepan. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes. Add ketchup and tomato sauce. Simmer another 5 minutes. Add molasses and brown sugar. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until desired consistency.

I tend not to prefer sauce on brisket, but, since I feed people to hopefully make them happy rather than demonstrate to them what a BBQ genius I am, I like to have something available for those who do like sauce. For brisket it would tend to be something savory, like an au jus type deal. I'll also echo the use of Head Country. I liked that better on beef than other sauces I've tried.

I thought sauce on brisket was a heresy? Don't like it personally. Wouldn't you rather be able to taste the meat?

There's a well respected restaurant in town that does "good" brisket...after eating it with all the sauce and crap I vowed NEVER again!

just because u put sauce on it doesnt mean u cant taste the meat....u just gotta use the right sauce! and not too much of it lol

If you have the type of guests who ask for sauce, then before they arrive, take some Stubbs or Chris and Pitts or store brand, put it in a squeeze bottle or two, draw two X's on it in with a Sharpie, and have it ready.

Make sure you toss the store-bought bottles in your neighbor's trash.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
That 20+ page thread on peer pressure really opened my eyes on how some people view us and our opinions so I don't think its good, even for a Texas native, to say anything about ruining a brisket.:tape: Not that I am walking on egg shells but I am trying to see how it looks from the outside to people that don't know us like we know each other. I really have not sauced a lot of brisket until my kids moved out and I have to finish off pounds and pounds on my own. A little sauce helps change things up. I like the original Stubb's but will be trying some Head Country because the Stubb's is getting a little tired after being the only sauce I have used for a few years. People that come over seem to like Sweet Baby Rays but that is too sweet for brisket imo. I have tried all the Franklin sauces but they are just way to thin/runny for me. This thread is really timely for me.

I really have not sauced a lot of brisket until my kids moved out and I have to finish off pounds and pounds on my own.

dang how old r u?!:laugh:

i wish i could duplicate the sauce ive been eating on brisket since i was 4...its a very thin runny sauce and i like it cuz its not that strong...nice n subtle . since you are still in texas it is your job to get some of that sauce and duplicate it for me:thumb::thumb:

just because u put sauce on it doesnt mean u cant taste the meat....u just gotta use the right sauce! and not too much of it lol

Meh. Nothing sweet, tangy etc... Now having it in it's own juices/injections as a type of au jus is ALL good :thumb:

Back