Best bbq sauce on brisket

dang how old r u?!:laugh:

i wish i could duplicate the sauce ive been eating on brisket since i was 4...its a very thin runny sauce and i like it cuz its not that strong...nice n subtle . since you are still in texas it is your job to get some of that sauce and duplicate it for me:thumb::thumb:

I should be old enough to know better...:doh:

Thanks for the tip. Since my daughter is up north at school I will be driving thru Ft. Worth several times this year. I will make sure to stop at cousins and get several bottles of sauce. Not to help you, just for my personal use.

This is the one I like:

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 chipotle chile from canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

I should be old enough to know better...:doh:

Thanks for the tip. Since my daughter is up north at school I will be driving thru Ft. Worth several times this year. I will make sure to stop at cousins and get several bottles of sauce. Not to help you, just for my personal use.

:mad::mad::mad:

That 20+ page thread on peer pressure really opened my eyes on how some people view us and our opinions so I don't think its good, even for a Texas native, to say anything about ruining a brisket.:tape: Not that I am walking on egg shells but I am trying to see how it looks from the outside to people that don't know us like we know each other. I really have not sauced a lot of brisket until my kids moved out and I have to finish off pounds and pounds on my own. A little sauce helps change things up. I like the original Stubb's but will be trying some Head Country because the Stubb's is getting a little tired after being the only sauce I have used for a few years. People that come over seem to like Sweet Baby Rays but that is too sweet for brisket imo. I have tried all the Franklin sauces but they are just way to thin/runny for me. This thread is really timely for me.
Try the two I posted the first one is very close to Rudy's sissy sauce.

whatever they have at cousin's bbq in fort worth....tho i dont have a recipe for it...but if u find one..please share! im dying to know! lol

Cousin's is in the Dallas aiport in a couple terminals there. I've definitely done the quick grab n go. They have the sauce available there.

when it comes to brisket i hate sauces that are heavy on the molasses. i think semi thin sauces with a good tomato base and a nice kick but still with some sweetness. i developed a sauce 3years ago that i really like but i haven't written down the recipe yet haha, i gotta do that one of these days. i remember all the ingredients though and i can always seem to get it to taste right when i make it. i do a cup of crushed tomatoes and a cup of ketchup as a base and then add white sugar, white vinegar, a little mustard, lemon juice, granulated onion, granulated garlic, black pepper, crushed red pepper, hot sauce, and i cut up a couple jalapenos and let them simmer with the sauce. it kinda tastes like a BBQ salsa.

Try the two I posted the first one is very close to Rudy's sissy sauce.

I love Rudy's sauce. They killed me in Las Vegas last year when I used it at the WFC'S. Said it tasted like ketchup. Never noticed until then...but I smoke and my taste buds aren't what they used to be.

Thank you for all the ideas! I am smoking a brisket on Sunday and am wondering, also.

Bludawg those sound good. I had Louie Mueller sauce a couple weeks ago while there.

My favorite was the sauce at John Mueller. It was magical. I saw a recipe claiming to approximate it when googling which I'll find in a sec. Anyone ever try that one?

Glad you brought up the John Mueller sauce. I'm not much of a sauce guy, but I was drinking that stuff like shots by the time I left his spot. Amazing stuff.

Glad you brought up the John Mueller sauce. I'm not much of a sauce guy, but I was drinking that stuff like shots by the time I left his spot. Amazing stuff.

The one I linked looks very similar to the Fred Fontaine one so maybe that is legit.

But yeah the John Mueller one was awesome. I was taking some forkfuls for a while after I was done. I've since read Daniel Vaughn's reviews of it and he says he drinks it like soup :)

The one I linked looks very similar to the Fred Fontaine one so maybe that is legit.

But yeah the John Mueller one was awesome. I was taking some forkfuls for a while after I was done. I've since read Daniel Vaughn's reviews of it and he says he drinks it like soup :)
Fred stated at Muellers after WWII and is the creator of that sauce. like all things BBQ JM just put a spin on it (addition of a Fat & Stock in lieu of bouillon).http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-wayne-mueller-of-louie-mueller-barbecue/

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-most-famous-pitmaster-youve-probably-never-heard-of/

• Thanks
Reactions: RT
Cousin's is in the Dallas aiport in a couple terminals there. I've definitely done the quick grab n go. They have the sauce available there.

ya i saw they have locations in DFW now....apparently everything comes out of a commissary now.....back when i used to go on the reg as a kid it was 1 location...then a 2nd not that far away.

Fred stated at Muellers after WWII and is the creator of that sauce. like all things BBQ JM just put a spin on it (addition of a Fat & Stock in lieu of bouillon).http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-wayne-mueller-of-louie-mueller-barbecue/

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-most-famous-pitmaster-youve-probably-never-heard-of/

Thanks, man! I read a lot about central Texas q in prep for trip to Austin I had a couple weeks ago. Have read lots of Texas monthly and some of the LM history. Ate at LM one day, JM the next, then La Barbecue on the third day. So Q from each of the three grandkids :)

Will read these, and thank you again for the info!

Back