Beer Can Chicken

In the UDS last Sat.

119490802.jpg

I've used most everything in the cans, water and spices this time.

poor guys got cold, they're all huddled over the fire tryin to get warm. :lol:

I got one of those chicken rack sex toys and my dad used to make a lot of chicken with it. He got to where he made one heckuva good chicken with it. Claimed he was using my bourbon under the chicken, I have my doubts about that. But, the chicken was good.

The best way to get the chicken moist IMHO is to brine them overnight. The 5 chicken "meeting" on the UDS were all brined. I also use a old fashioned "church key" can opener to punch 4 holes in the side around the top of the beer cans.

My personal opinion is that the beer can method does some good, I wouldn't rely on it as the only way to get the chicken moist, or to impart spice, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

My customer wanted them "beer butted", so that's how I did them, and it made it easier to get all 5 arranged on the UDS rack.

Thanks for the nice comments about my picture.

Jerry

The best way to get the chicken moist IMHO is to brine them overnight.

It certainly doesn't hurt anything.

It made it easier to get all 5 arranged on the UDS rack.

Jerry

I agree
I agree
I agree

Nothing wrong with the method, but the beer doesn't boil and doesn't seem to impart much flavoring. I still use it on occasion, but have found myself using the spatchcock method lately. I just love the flavor you get when you grill those chicken bones over high heat.

Hmm, everyone keeps talking about the beer or liquid "flavoring the chicken... I'm pretty sure I totally dismissed that notion as soon as I tasted my first beer can chicken - there is no way there is any flavor from the can's ingredients.

However, when we think about thermal dynamics, beer can chicken makes sense... The can and liquid act as a heat sink (just like that water pan in your smoker) and conducts moist heat to the internal cavity of the bird.

You could probably compare this to the difference between a heating pad (dry heat) and a water bottle (moist heat).

I start mine with the beer warm and leave them nearly full. As the beer heats up (the aluminum can conducts heat well too) then the internal temp of the bird slowly rises to meet the beer.

Also, I pull the extra breast skin up and over the neck hole and pin it to the back to create a seal.

Something else that might contribute to the moistness is that the butt of the chicken seals up around the bottom of the can and holds all the juices inside.

In all, I don't think that BC is the only way to do it, I usually spatch my chix and brine them, but BC chicken does turn out well!

I do make beer can chicken all the time. Never thought of trying to a bird without the can. One thing I did notice is I always stuff a potato in my necks and do indirect grilling at around 375 degrees and they did not in the testing. I wonder if the potato keeping steam in has any effect because the beer can is EXTREMELY hot when I use this method. I also use a cast iron pan as a base and that seems to help crisp up the leg quarters.

I made beer can chicken for the first time last night (if it really happened no pron) but I used a tin pan and filled it with chicken broth, onions, garlic and rosemary. Stood them in the pan and put on the dome. Stuffed the necks with onion. I think one was completely closed cause the chicken really puffed up. Came out moist and great taste. My wife really raved about it.

Interesting results. I always brine my poultry products. IMO the steam rising from the can will just escape through the neck cavity before it has a chance to absorb into the less than half the chicken which is above the top level of the can. I find drinking a lot of beer will make anything taste better however! LOL :lol:

Interesting results. I always brine my poultry products. IMO the steam rising from the can will just escape through the neck cavity before it has a chance to absorb into the less than half the chicken which is above the top level of the can. I find drinking a lot of beer will make anything taste better however! LOL :lol:

That's why i wish they would have stuffed a potato in the neck to see if results changed any. That's what I do.

Back