Beer Can Chicken

It's been so long ago that I no longer remember who first told me on here to heat the liquid first... that's a must... It also ensures you're not keeping the inside cooler, in case you're worried about killing everyone with undercooked chicken. :)

Slightly off topic, but what I want to know is who was the first person to stand (probably just barely) there looking at a chicken with a beer in one hand and think "Fark it! I'm gonna shove this up its clacker and cook it":shock:

I commonly refer to the whole "beer can chicken" as "San Franciscan Chicken" (I'll let your mind wonder about the origins of this nickname :-D).

It's neat way to cook chicken, but I don't waste beer and 99% of the time simply go dry or with a little water.

I dont much care what they say. I also dont think the type of liquid matters either. I add onions, garlic, celery, rosemary, lemon, or whatever I'm in the mood to throw in the can and there is no doubt that it adds flavor and keeps the meat moist.

And while it may be a novelty, I dont think anyone can argue that its just about the easiest, most fool-proof way to cook a chicken. Prep time is less than it takes for a chimney of charcoal to heat up, no flipping, no turning, just put it on and let it cook. And....it tastes good!

It's a myth...get over it. Cooking them vertically drys the breast meat...think about it. Upside down makes more sense.

Well, whatever. It's been well over a year since I've cooked a beer can chicken (cause of practicing damn thighs). I think I'll cook one this weekend just because this thread has inspired me to do so.

Now, what to put in the can ... :rolleyes:
And what smoker to cook it on?

I think we ought to ask Cowgirl what she thinks, with the grub she makes if she doesn't know who would???? :biggrin::biggrin:

Paul B

In the UDS last Sat.

119490802.jpg

I've used most everything in the cans, water and spices this time.

Good thing Jerry stopped em in their meeting.

BTW, those are some delicious looking chickens

They said the beer did not get hot enough to boil and therefore steam the inside of the chicken. I guess it probably depends on what temp the beer is when you start. What if you heat the beer up to a boil and then put back in can? I bet it boils and steams then.
I didn't watch the video and I don't make beercan chicken (my beer comes in bottles or from a tap) but I am a stickler for proper testing and science. If they are really saying that then this is total bupkis, boiling liquid has nothing to do with it. By sticking a beercan up the chicken's butt you are trying to let the beer evaporate into the meat. Evaporation does not cause bubbling. This is why if you leave your UDS out in the rain it will dry out in the sun even though it doesn't "boil." The beer, soda, water, whatever doesn't need to boil to impart its flavor into the anal cavity of the chicken.

consider this...
when you ram that can into the chicken, where is the hole in the can? near the top at the neck? how does the moisture/steam/vapor/evaporate get out of the can? thru the hole at the top? where does the moisture/steam/vapor/evaporate go then?

i'll continue to cook my chickens in the missionary position with no can. :biggrin:

I didn't read the article, but my buddies and i have decided that you smoke your chicken and drink your beer. stuffed with onion, lemon, herbs, and celery, i just don't see how they can be more juicy than they already are cooked low and slow then ramped up at the end. just out thought.

Here's perhaps another way of looking at it. I'm not a fan of the "can" thing per say. I use this setup:

http://www.4thegrill.com/cog3005.html

Setup.jpg

I also put apple juice or whatever your preference is in the pan below. I do my birds at 325, indirect. So, since I'm at altitude and liquids boil at 199 for me (5,300 ft), I figure I'm getting some good stuff. The liquid doesn't boil but I get enough moisture up into and around the bird, I've never had to brine and get a very moist bird. I also tent them in foil for 20 minutes after I am done before I slice or pull the meat.

However, I'm also catching anything that comes out of the bird or off the bird (rub) as it sweats. After I'm done, I pour it into a container, into the fridge until I get a hocky puck, take that out, and there is some Very good broth underneath.

broth.jpg

Back