Beer Brats

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
Looking for a good way to do these I saw one that said soak brats and onions in beer for several hours, then cook this for 20-25 minutes, then cook Brats on grill for about 15 minutes

As we've discussed I grew up in a well done dang near cremated grilling world. Dad cooked everything well done plus. He would take a stick of butter- sliced yellow onion and a bottle of Schlitz. Bring to a boil over coals. He would then simmer brats in water for about 10 minutes. He'd then take the mostly cooked raw brats and over high heat blister the bejesus out of the Brats. He'd then place the blistered brats in the butter onion beer pot to continue on low simmer offset of coals.

I've done similar but just use the beer butter onion for everything. Now that Brat liquid is great. If near payday he'd drop shrimps in that mix.

Good times.

You can use the hot tube method. Prepare a pan (foil pan works) of beer, onions, garlic, and what ever other seasonings you want. Heat up your grill and get the hot tube warmed up. Put a quick sear on the brats for flavor and appearance then into the Hot Tube to simmer and finish while absorbing the elixer flavor.

If near payday he'd drop shrimps in that mix.

Good times.

That gave me an idea to marinate some shelled shrimp in beer and Old Bay for an hour or two then simmer it. Gonna try that.

As for the beer brats OP, I do the same as what you stated. They are always good.

I've been using the sous vide to cook them, then sear on the grill.
A lot of the fat renders during the sous vide, and since they're cooked through, I can concentrate on a nice even sear on the casing.
The lower fat content helps reduce flare ups, almost eliminates them.
Simmering in beer, or any liquid before grilling works well too, but then you have the possibility of over or under cooking.

As we've discussed I grew up in a well done dang near cremated grilling world. Dad cooked everything well done plus. He would take a stick of butter- sliced yellow onion and a bottle of Schlitz. Bring to a boil over coals. He would then simmer brats in water for about 10 minutes. He'd then take the mostly cooked raw brats and over high heat blister the bejesus out of the Brats. He'd then place the blistered brats in the butter onion beer pot to continue on low simmer offset of coals.

I've done similar but just use the beer butter onion for everything. Now that Brat liquid is great. If near payday he'd drop shrimps in that mix.

Good times.

Actually it was a can, not bottle- with a seam

Thanks for the help I am going to put the brats in beer and krout for about 20 min the on to the gasser for about 15 Its been a while since I have done brats in beer

Holy Flashback. Mom would used leftover brats cooked Dad Style and chop it then mix into whatever salad she was making. Chicken Salad- Ham Salad- Roast beef salad. Really good

This is where I started learning little tricks with sous vide

I used long silicone ice mold and I would freeze beer. Then add frozen beer cubes, butter, and brats (holes poked in casing)seal with water immersion method. Once beer cubes melted I would put the ziploc bag inside vac seal bag and get all air out (double bag) This pulls beer into brat a little.

Run at 140F for about 4 hours then sear in pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back