Wisconsin Bratwursts

Hit the Brat Stop on I-94 at 50. Stop for lunch and then pick up some fresh brats in the attached store. Right across the highway is Woodman's, they should have Usinger and Klement brands made in Milwaukee, Schweigert sausage from Lacrosse or Cher-Make from Manitowoc. Don't forget to pick up some New Glarus beer, only available north of the Cheddar Curtain.

FTR - I've always thought Brat Stop was a bit overrated for food, their best option is live music, lotta truly great bands have played the Brat. I lived only about 10mi from Brat Stop so it was a frequent visit for me but rarely for meals. IMHO, local butchers have better brats than almost all the big sausage shops like klements, usingers, jonhsonville, etc.

it is worth a stop there if you've never been though. Same for Mars Cheese castle.

FTR - I've always thought Brat Stop was a bit overrated for food, their best option is live music, lotta truly great bands have played the Brat. I lived only about 10mi from Brat Stop so it was a frequent visit for me but rarely for meals. IMHO, local butchers have better brats than almost all the big sausage shops like klements, usingers, jonhsonville, etc.

it is worth a stop there if you've never been though. Same for Mars Cheese castle.

My twin cousin (born on the same day same year) is a professional chef. He always goes to the cheese castle when we visited my mom.

Looks Great!
Any clue what makes them Wisconsin style? They're all a little different, just wondering what the main pop of flavor is in this mix.

It is a Sheboygan Style Bratwurst, we named it “Wisconsin” to stand out from other mixes out there.
Salt, pepper, onion, and a little sugar to balance everything.

Those brats look perfect! I was going to say it's getting to be brat season, but I guess it's always brat season for the Brethren! I need to make up a batch.

Is this Brat stop pronounced brat like a spoiled brat, or braught stop? Just curious, we pronounce it like braught.
Sometimes i hate the English language.

Is this Brat stop pronounced brat like a spoiled brat, or braught stop? Just curious, we pronounce it like braught.
Sometimes i hate the English language.
They are not spoiled little sausages. :becky:

brat you pronounce the A like you're saying ah

This is where we should have kept the germanic inflections when the language was brought over into written english

brät

had we kept the inflection umlauts, we wouldn't have this problem. most other languages kept their inflection symbols when transferred to written word.

lazy english.....

Miesfeld's in Sheboygan is the place to get brats. You can visit Johnsonville which is just a few minutes away.

I like Klement's for the commercial brands myself, but to each their own.

I think for the one that asked what makes them Wisconsin is the German style, course grind, and seasonings.

Little story, couple years ago we went to Waco TX to visit my son who was working their for the summer. The BBQ was fantastic, except for the sausages. We hit one place however, where they made their own and he had trained with a German sausage maker. They were fantastic and reminded me of Wisconsin. I was home.

Anyone ever heard of a hybrid fine/coarse grind Bavarian brat? I remember having one many years ago. There were chunks of pork in between a finer texture that held together nicely and was not crumbly at all. It was a fresh sausage, but the meaty chunks were nice and dark, almost like it was cured ham, but it was just darker pork muscle if that makes any sense. Anyway, im thinking of try my hand at it and wondering if anyone has a good tried and true seasoning recipe for Bavarian style brats?

So, i am going to do a small 2.5 lb batch. I ground a 8lb pork butt into 4lbs 4.5mm , 2lbs 7mm, and 2 lbs 10mm.

Im going to mix 1/2 lb 10 mm, 1/2lb 7mm, and 1.5lb 4.5mm.
Thats all i got so far, still working on seasonings. Im thinking salt, onion powder, celery seed powder, caraway seed powder, mace powder, white pepper powder, and maybe some sugar.
And of course some binders and very small amount of phosphates for moisture retention. ( i used too much once and the juices didn't even come out when i snapped into the sausages).

ALSO, I have used Fermento in smoked sausages, and i really like the tang it adds, im wondering if Fermento could work well in non smoked, maybe in a small amount for a slight tang?
What made me think of it is some bratwurst recipes call for vinegar and/or lemon zest.

Last edited:
Back