THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the injection I used

1 1/2 Tbsp Minced Onion (dry)
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp (kochujang) red pepper sauce
3 Tbsp sugar
2 -4 Tbsp Mirin
2 tsp ginger
The juice from my can of pears (saved the pears for the sauce).

The onions didn't play nice with my injector so I used it first as a marinade (about 4 hours) and then strained it all through a cheese cloth. Once strained then I injected the shoulder with what I had left and rubbed the remaining paste all over.

Sauce

2 cloves garlic minced
Dried Green onion (thrown in with the garlic when chopping)
black pepper to taste
soy sauce (recipe was for 1/2 cup but that seemed like too much so I started with maybe 1/4 cup)
1/4 - 1/2 cup mirin
honey (not sure how much maybe 2 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp sesame oil
My left over Asian pears (the whole can)
2 Tbsp gochujang
Splash rice vinegar

I used an immersion blender with everything and then played around with the honey until I had the level of sweetness I wanted.

Once I tasted everything together I wanted a little more heat so I used a little of the gochujang along with the sauce.

That is about as close to at as I can get.

Mine is the one on the lower right............the one bathed in salsa. They were a hit. Mrs. Brisket asked that they be put on the repeat menu SOON!:thumb:
Thanks!

Bob

Lobster Tacos

These fellers were swimming Saturday. Freshness! Apparently someone owed Donna big, she came home from the dive shop with them and gave them to me:-D. She'll eat them, but doesn't really care one way or the other. Oh darn! They were pretty big tails! I grilled them on Homey and pulled them off very rare.
tort1.jpg
tort2.jpg
tort3.jpg
tort4.jpg

I chilled them down overnight (Well, after a healthy sampling:biggrin1:)

I made up a pico de gallo using tomato, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro, onion, Tabasco, salt, black pepper, and key lime juice.
tort5.jpg
tort7.jpg

The bugs
tort8.jpg

I sauteed some sweet onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and salt in evoo. The lobster meat was added, after the onions were soft, just until hot.
tort9.jpg
tort10.jpg

I took flour tortillas into a CI skillet and melted queso and cheddar cheeses on them. Once melted, I wrapped a hard corn tortilla with the cheesy flour tortilla.
tort14.jpg

tort15.jpg

The tacos were first layered with the pico de gallo, followed with a generous helping of the succulent white and orange lobster. Served with sour cream, chilled lettuce, and thin slices of red onion. Twas really nice. Please use this shot, and thanks for looking.
tort13.jpg

For this throwdown, I decided to make a crisp taco salad. I first had to mix up some rub as we've almost run out. This took a bit of time to track down all the ingredients, but I made a big batch this time. It should last us for a whole month at least.

IMG_3215.jpg

We even made some labels for some of the bigger jars:

IMG_3235.jpg

With any taco salad, we're really interested in the meat. Last night, I lit a low fire in my Oval and put in a big chunk of mesquite:

IMG_3227.jpg

I seasoned the 4 pork butts with fresh Foil Hat Rub and parsley and they went on the lower shelf. The ones on top were an experiment:

IMG_3229.jpg

These cooked between 14 and 18 hours. Pulled, we should have enough lunchmeat for at least three days:

IMG_3257.jpg

Of course a taco salad requires a tortilla shell, not to mention qualifying for the throwdown. I toasted several up outside, with and without EVOO. It took about 10-15 minutes at 350*

IMG_3232.jpg

They had a nice shape.

IMG_3231.jpg

Since Gore would be eating this, I filled the bowl up with meat, topped with melted sharp cheddar cheese and a little mozzarella, green onions and tomatoes, and I served it with a Scottish ale.

IMG_3256.jpg

In the blink of an eye, ... it was gone! :shock:
I like it when you can eat the dishes.
Thanks for looking.

Here's my last minute tortilla throwdown entry:

Cheesy Chile Spicy Verde Pork Enchiladas with Homemade Tortillas

First we, roasted tomatillos, poblanos, and onions on the grill:

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

After the chiles were properly roasted, we put them in a paper bag so the skins would soften:

IMG_5359.jpg

Meanwhile, The Missus had been roasting a pork shoulder, and after browning it, put the savory meat chunks in the clay pot:

IMG_5356.jpg

After blending the roasted chiles and veggies, we added the mixture to the pork:

IMG_5362.jpg

Then into the oven for a nice long cook. In the meantime, we began tortilla prep. If you've never made homemade tortillas from fresh masa, you're missing out on one of life's great pleasures!

First, we form a small ball of dough over a plastic bag:

IMG_5364.jpg

Then press down firmly and evenly:

IMG_5365.jpg

Voila!

IMG_5366.jpg

Now onto the hot comal:

IMG_5367.jpg

Some minutes later, we had quite a few:

IMG_5370.jpg

Meanwhile, The Missus decided to fry up some tortilla chips:

IMG_5374.jpg

After the chips were done, we began grilling the tortillas:

IMG_5378.jpg

After we had a good batch warmed and toasty, we put them in a safe place:

IMG_5382.jpg

We began building the enchiladas, first stuffing them with cheese, then after they were lined up, covering them with the Chile Verde, then a final topping of cheese:

IMG_5385.jpg

IMG_5386.jpg

IMG_5389.jpg

After about 20 minutes of cooking, we served up the enchiladas with some of the fresh chips, and homemade pico de gallo:

IMG_5401.jpg

Above pic will be throwdown entry.

Last edited:
Back