THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northwoods Smoke

Full Fledged Farker
I have a Bayou Classic SP10 that I have started doing some different cooking with (boiling pots of pasta, chineese wok cooking) and what I notice is the flame is super intense in the middle with very little 'spread' for heat to the outside of any pot, kettle, wok, etc.

I was wondering what ideas you would have to implement some type of flame spreader or diverter so that the flame is more uniform over a larger area. One of my main questions - What kind of materials would/should I use?

I have an stainless steel double boiler strainer (I own two) that I could hack up and suspend with brackets above the burner, but didn't know if the stainless would hold up under a direct and intense flame (an SP10 burner is rated at 185,000 SPU).

Obviously, Bayou makes other burners with better flame distribution, but I am on a budget and need to make the one I have just work better and more versatile.

Thanks in advance.

what you have is a high pressure burner used for boiling. What you need is a low pressure burner if you will be using it to cook. You can pick up a low pressure burner for about $15 from your gas supply store, but you will also need a new jet and a orfice.

Back