Bad Thermoworks customer service experience with Signals, Smashing success with Fireboard

Sorry to hear this. I own quite a few ThermoWorks products and they all work flawlessly.
I will say that Fireboard has lots of problems with their probes. So many in fact that some people are using ThermoWorks probes with their Fireboards. Don’t take my word for it, check out their Facebook group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not disputing that any product won't have issues, I'm documenting the lousy service when problems arose. All products go through bumps and are usually ironed out over time.

I am not disputing that any product won't have issues, I'm documenting the lousy service when problems arose. All products go through bumps and are usually ironed out over time.

I gotcha. That lack of customer support is unacceptable.

I have a 150gb modem/router through my cable company which to my understanding is proprietary so i can't swap it out for just a modem and buy a good dedicated Wifi router. So i am stuck with crappy long distance signals. The Fireboard has a great Wifi Antenna and i never have an issue with signal loss, and My Rectec controller never had a problem either, but this POS Treager Timberline 1300 Wifi Controller is garbage and i hade to buy a WiFi extender that. But for some reason the WiFi extender cuts out every few months for no reason and it effects every Wifi device in the house. All it takes is to unplug the modem/router and the Wifi extender and everything is back up running smoothly for a few more months. Its weird. I deal with it because its only once every 2-3 months i have to power cycle it. But imo, these companies need to get there crap together *Treager cough*.

I'm on a cable modem, but my own router. Just the way it works here where I live.
My router is not something special either, a Belkin from Walmart. Dual band, and I forget the rest. But when I got it, a lot of WiFi issues smoothed out for me. And my Laptop, which was getting old anyway, gave up too.
Just happened that way. But the new router, and a new 2 in 1 tablet fixed my issues running my telescope remotely.
So I know my WiFi is running good.

I'm of the opinion many manufacturers cut their costs by using low cost WiFi electronics in their OEM items.
We are stuck with buying many rebranded items from overseas. And in my experiences, Aisan, and in particular China electronics are inferior to most others. So we find things like WiFi sorely lacking in some products.
Then Company policies, and the lack of understanding the issue, leads to bad customer service.
So our only recourse is to look elsewhere. Post and discuss our experiences.
And somebody should email a link of this thread to ThermoWorks. (OP)

Oh, nevermind. I emailed them a link.

Last edited:
I'm on a cable modem, but my own router. Just the way it works here where I live.
My router is not something special either, a Belkin from Walmart. Dual band, and I forget the rest. But when I got it, a lot of WiFi issues smoothed out for me. And my Laptop, which was getting old anyway, gave up too.
Just happened that way. But the new router, and a new 2 in 1 tablet fixed my issues running my telescope remotely.
So I know my WiFi is running good.

I'm of the opinion many manufacturers cut their costs by using low cost WiFi electronics in their OEM items.
We are stuck with buying many rebranded items from overseas. And in my experiences, Aisan, and in particular China electronics are inferior to most others. So we find things like WiFi sorely lacking in some products.
Then Company policies, and the lack of understanding the issue, leads to bad customer service.
So our only recourse is to look elsewhere. Post and discuss our experiences.
And somebody should email a link of this thread to ThermoWorks. (OP)

Oh, nevermind. I emailed them a link.

Great! I'm going to email them the link as well. I will update the thread with their response, good, bad, or indifferent.

Great! I'm going to email them the link as well. I will update the thread with their response, good, bad, or indifferent.

Feedback is an important part of marketing.
If we just talk amoungst ourselves, they may never realise the things killing their business.
But, allowed to read the thread could give them more feedback than individual reviews.
Plus an opportunity to join and reply. Maybe even sponsor... :clap2:

But they need to be made aware of the problem.:mmph:

Maybe they will reach out to NYC QUE and send him a couple of free probes or something for defending their product. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have the Dot, Thermopop, Smoke, and MK4 and haven't had any problems. I guess I am lucky that I don't have a need for the more high tech stuff.

http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/supp...able-wi-fi-signal-so-i-can-use-my-own-wi-fi-0

As for the other issue, I love my Fireboard. Works perfect, even when a LONG way away from my router. Really sucks the way you were treated. However, as much as that is garbage treatment, I'd still have to stick with the thermapen.

That only disables the WiFi. It doesn't completely disable the Router wich is both wired and Wireless. The issue is i can't get another router to play nice with this Ubee Modem/Router combo. One of the issues i had was the designated ip range of 192.168.0.xx i tried a few different routers i had and they are all 192.168.1.xx and this causes some conflicts. Also i believe this Ubee is fiber optic as well.

Sorry to hear you had an issue with ThermoWorks, I've never had to call their customer support because everything to date as worked flawlessly even under abnormal network connections.

I connected one for a friend, at a pole barn about 750' from a house using a pair of ubiquity M5's and a TrendNet Access Point, works seamlessly as if it's a single mesh network.

I also have another one tied into a Verizon cell modem on his competition trailer, which then uses a DDNS service; so no matter where he goes in the country he has instant unbridled network access to all of his devices from his hotel/motel room.

Maybe they will reach out to NYC QUE and send him a couple of free probes or something for defending their product. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have the Dot, Thermopop, Smoke, and MK4 and haven't had any problems. I guess I am lucky that I don't have a need for the more high tech stuff.

Just sharing my experience. Is that cool?

Just sharing my experience. Is that cool?

Yes, it is the coolest. I have the same experience as you. Everything I have bought from Thermoworks has been excellent. I don't think the OP was bashing Thermoworks, but he was sharing a bad experience that has changed his opinion of the company. It won't stop me from buying their products though.

Yes, it is the coolest. I have the same experience as you. Everything I have bought from Thermoworks has been excellent. I don't think the OP was bashing Thermoworks, but he was sharing a bad experience that has changed his opinion of the company. It won't stop me from buying their products though.

I didn’t want to come across as defending them. The level of customer service the OP received is unacceptable.

I didn’t want to come across as defending them. The level of customer service the OP received is unacceptable.

Having an opinion is okay. I saw where you posted about the Fireboard having problems with their probes, but you then edited and erased that comment. You should feel free to post your opinion and not worry unless you are intentionally being rude. I can see why the OP wasn't happy with the product and the service he got, but mentioning flaws of the product he is recommending is fine.

Their return policy turned a lot of my friends away from buying anything from them, even though they used and liked my smoke.

Oh man, I hate hearing stuff like this. Long time customer of Thermoworks, but I have ZERO patience for this type of poor customer support. I have been soooo close on multiple occasions to buying a new MK4 Thermapen even though my Classic is just fine. Just reading this thread has completely soured my desire to buy anything from them. Sorry to hear you had to take one for the team, but we’re all better informed now because of it... so thank you! Buyer beware. I have also referred many to TW... no more if this is how they will be handling friends/family should they have an issue.

Actually, now that I am thinking about it, years ago I did have a minor run-in with them as they were giving me the run around much like you. I actually forgot all about that until this thread. I went on their website, where they have (or at least they used too) every employee listed along w/ their contact info. I emailed my experience and thoughts to the president of the company asking politely for his help is resolving my issue. He took care of business lickity-split. Maybe there is hope for you as far as getting a full refund. Email him/her and let us know what happens. Ridiculous it would have to go this far, but it’s worth a shot.

Last edited:
Thermoworks best be careful. How you treat your customers will get around.
Plus there are better options out there. Inkbird is awesome. Just saying. I love mine.

Got a reply this morning from Thermoworks....

I wrote:
"You have an issue that needs attention...

Like a wildfire."

They replied From Wesley Scholl, Technical support:

Hi Sonny,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

But all they can do now is damage control.

I will say that Fireboard has lots of problems with their probes. So many in fact that some people are using ThermoWorks probes with their Fireboards. Don’t take my word for it, check out their Facebook group.

Who’s FB group are you referring to? I’d like to read about the fireboard probe issues

I had issues with my ThermoWorks Smoke a couple of years ago. They wanted to give me the run around and charge me to return it to them.
I have not bought anything ThermoWorks since, they’ve obviously gotten too big for their britches

I had issues with my ThermoWorks Smoke a couple of years ago. They wanted to give me the run around and charge me to return it to them.
I have not bought anything ThermoWorks since, they’ve obviously gotten too big for their britches

Or they are bleeding out and put a tourniquet on Customer Service.
The quickest way to kill a company is to piss off their customer base, or potential customers. :tsk:

I had an issue with the open-box Smoke I bought on sale - the pit probe would sometimes/most of the time read 40-50 degrees high. Thermoworks customer service responded quickly and sent me a replacement, no need to send the defective one back. I can’t complain based on my own experience.

Back