Bad Thermoworks customer service experience with Signals, Smashing success with Fireboard

KpaxFAQ

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Kory
Hi all,

First and foremost, I own a bunch of thermoworks products and have bought all of my friends and family members Thermapen MK4's when they would go on sale as gifts. I started to look at wifi based thermometers back in March and stumbled across the new Signals. I did my research and thought maybe the fireboard could be a little bit better, but I'm a thermoworks fanboy through and through and bought it to upgrade from my trusty Maverick 732.

I have a detached garage where my smoking is done about 50ft from my high end Asus tri-band router. I can use wifi on my smartphone reliably several houses down on the street, should be no problem right?

Everything about the signals worked as advertised, but I had this weird issue where it would stay connected for a couple hours then permanently lose connection until I turned the unit off and back on. The thermoworks app shows wifi signal strength and it could be better so I figured the Signals unit itself must have a lousy antenna in it. No big deal, I bought a $20 wifi signal extender to give it 100%. I shouldn't of had to do that but I'll make an honest effort to remedy the issue relatively cheaply. The same issues persisted.

Thermoworks contacts me a week after purchase asking how I liked the product. I said I love it but will be returning it if I can't figure out a solution to the above issues. I email back and forth with tech support for a week or so and they suggest the common sense stuff that might be wrong. None of it created a solution.

They say OK return it to us AT YOUR COST and we'll take a look at it. I protested and they said ok fine we'll email you a prepaid UPS shipping label. I ship it back and they get back to me 2 weeks later saying they couldn't recreate the issue and it is on the way back to me. I email back saying they should just keep it and refund my money as there is no point in sending back a product that doesn't function correctly. Keep in mind I'm at work on a construction site so I can't check my email every 30 seconds.

An Amanda McGrath who is the Tech support manager responds that she can only offer me $114 refund because the product is "well used" (I only cooked once and did not use all included probes) and is past the 30 day return window. WHAT!? This whole process started around 7 days after I bought it. She says I have to get back to her quickly within 2 hours so she can pull it from the shipping department if I want the less than 50% refund. I miss the deadline because I'm at work so it ships back to me.

I protest that it was only 7 days after purchase that I started my tech support case and she agrees and now offers a refund of $166 which is still far less than full purchase price of $229 plus tax and shipping it was around $246. I protest, go back and forth, and they essentially tell me to pound salt so I send it back the minute it arrives back at my house cutting my losses. I explained how many products I've bought and have in my own home and the other products I've bought for friends and family and how I recommend them to everyone who will listen. They didn't give a single crap about any of that. I told them I was going to write this. They didn't care. Needless to say I was surprised.

I will never buy another thermoworks product again. When my MK4 thermapen eventually needs replaced I'll buy something else even if that's the best.

I looked today and they have them on-sale for $194 down from $229. They couldn't even offer me $194.

There is a silver lining to all of this. After I returned it, I immediately order a Fireboard. It arrived quickly, and works perfectly. The phone app is much more refined, the build quality is excellent, it has a smaller footprint, the battery lasts longer, it can be charged with a standard USB adapter or battery pack unlike the stupid 12V adapter you have to use with the Signals.

The fireboard shows 50% signal strength where the Signals was and has never lost connection. Regardless of my thermoworks customer experience, the fireboard is a flat out better product in every way. I figured there aren't a lot of people who have owned both.

I love my Fireboard extreme edition. Comes with 2 grill probes and 4 meat probes. I can't wait to buy the Drive cable so i can use it to control temps on my weber MT. Still havent sold my BBQ Guru DigiQ 2 , so im holding out on the Drive.

I love my Fireboard extreme edition. Comes with 2 grill probes and 4 meat probes. I can't wait to buy the Drive cable so i can use it to control temps on my weber MT. Still havent sold my BBQ Guru DigiQ 2 , so im holding out on the Drive.

I have a digi Q controller too and I'm looking to sell it soon to have it all in one. Hard to beat!

I have a digi Q controller too and I'm looking to sell it soon to have it all in one. Hard to beat!

My issue is i already have the bbq guru weber adapter installed and the Viper blower works with the Fireboard Drive cable so i am only trying to sell the DigiQ controller unit and probes for like $75. Its barely used. Had a few ppl interested but they were window shoppers.

Well, I'm certainly not in those classes. Not yet anyway.
But I do have some experiences with my WiFi and Thermometers.
(As well as a long story using wifi to control my telescope)

Not Thermoworks. I have ThermoPro (WiFi), and two Inkbirds (One bluetooth, one WiFi)
My WiFi units work way better than Bluetooth. Much better range.
Oh, the bluetooth is snazzy. As long as I'm within 15'-20' of the unit doing the monitoring.
So I'm sold on WiFi.
When I'm ready to invest in the level the Fireboard offers, it's good to have these little reminders to help with the decisions.

If anybody is interested, there are app's available to analyse your WiFi at your home. I have one on my Smarter-than-me Phone.

My cure was a new router (Dual Band), and when my laptop died, to replace it with a Dell 2 in one (for the telescope). No more troubles here!

OK. The telescope. Astrophotography, something I like to do after dinner.
Yeah man, it really is out there.

My cure was a new router (Dual Band), and when my laptop died, to replace it with a Dell 2 in one (for the telescope). No more troubles here!

OK. The telescope. Astrophotography, something I like to do after dinner.
Yeah man, it really is out there.

I have a 150gb modem/router through my cable company which to my understanding is proprietary so i can't swap it out for just a modem and buy a good dedicated Wifi router. So i am stuck with crappy long distance signals. The Fireboard has a great Wifi Antenna and i never have an issue with signal loss, and My Rectec controller never had a problem either, but this POS Treager Timberline 1300 Wifi Controller is garbage and i hade to buy a WiFi extender that. But for some reason the WiFi extender cuts out every few months for no reason and it effects every Wifi device in the house. All it takes is to unplug the modem/router and the Wifi extender and everything is back up running smoothly for a few more months. Its weird. I deal with it because its only once every 2-3 months i have to power cycle it. But imo, these companies need to get there crap together *Treager cough*.

I have a 150gb modem/router through my cable company which to my understanding is proprietary so i can't swap it out for just a modem and buy a good dedicated Wifi router. So i am stuck with crappy long distance signals. The Fireboard has a great Wifi Antenna and i never have an issue with signal loss, and My Rectec controller never had a problem either, but this POS Treager Timberline 1300 Wifi Controller is garbage and i hade to buy a WiFi extender that. But for some reason the WiFi extender cuts out every few months for no reason and it effects every Wifi device in the house. All it takes is to unplug the modem/router and the Wifi extender and everything is back up running smoothly for a few more months. Its weird. I deal with it because its only once every 2-3 months i have to power cycle it. But imo, these companies need to get there crap together *Treager cough*.

Turn off the wifi on the modem and use a dedicated router. Or check your ISPs website for a compatible modem and buy it from amazon or some local electronic store and get a good dedicated router. This way you can get off the terrible modem-wifi combo units because they are all trash.

Turn off the wifi on the modem and use a dedicated router. Or check your ISPs website for a compatible modem and buy it from amazon or some local electronic store and get a good dedicated router. This way you can get off the terrible modem-wifi combo units because they are all trash.

Its not possible. I couldnt find any setting to turn it off, and my ISP said the same. Its a Ubee model# UBC1301AA00.

You'll still have to get them to activate the MAC number of a new router. My guess is they won't because how else could they sell you a crappy modem for twice what it costs anywhere else.

I had one of those combo router/modems and plugged another wifi router into it. That worked just fine until I got tired of renting the combo device. They should allow you to buy your own equipment as long as it's on their approved list. I suggest you buy a modem faster than you need so you can upgrade speeds later without buying another modem. .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Aren't they supposed to be wifi and bluetooth and switch seamlessly somehow? I wonder if that's the issue. They may have a software issue.

If you paid for it with a cc. I'd call your cc company and dispute the charges. Tell them your story above how it didn't work right and they wouldn't refund your purchase.

I did pay with my CC. I thought about that, maybe I'll give them a call.

Thanks for posting. That's a really disappointing response from them. They're selling premium products and need to have support that fits with that. For BBQ related items (which I assume the Signals targets) I'd argue the expectations are even higher than in some other areas. There are a bunch of companies that are known for having fantastic service in this space.

Similar to you I've purchased quite a number of their products over the years for myself and as gifts for my parents and kids. I had been looking at the Signals (or maybe smoke) and would probably have ended up buying three of them over some period of time. Fireboard it is.

Wow that sucks!

I'd just deny the charge on the CC. The way they handled your problem cost them a long time customer here.

They honestly didn't seem that concerned the whole time. Alot of interaction seemed to be canned scripted responses. There was no acknowledgement of my efforts such as a wifi extender, etc. Just questions like is it plugged in? Check your router, blag blag blah. It's almost like they know there's a problem

They basically ignored and kept dancing around my hypothesis that there is an issue with their product because even if the signal were less than perfect, if it stays connected for hours and loses connection, should'nt it continue to try and reestablish a connection like any other wifi device does? It did not.

I figured maybe they would of sent me a different unit to try, nope.

I'm no genius but some of the interaction and lack of attention to detail from previous emails and interactions was insulting to my intelligence. I felt like I was going in circles with them.

Sorry to hear this. I own quite a few ThermoWorks products and they all work flawlessly.
I will say that Fireboard has lots of problems with their probes. So many in fact that some people are using ThermoWorks probes with their Fireboards. Don’t take my word for it, check out their Facebook group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back