THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mike-cleveland

is one Smokin' Farker
Was doing a test fire last night and decided to throw something on.

Picked up a sirloin tip roast. I split the roast into 2 and rubbed one with mustard, cut some slits for garlic, and Oakridge BBQ Black Ops. The second half I coated with the same black-ops, but then covered it in a basket weave of bacon.

I picked up some hardwood from my local hardware store. Not sure what kind it was. I also used some chunks of hickory.

fire-start.jpg

300x168xinferno-300x168.jpg.pagespeed.ic.d1v7rag0S-.jpg

tip-cooking.jpg

Cooked it till internal temp was 140.

finished.jpg

The bacon did not really stay on when sliced, but it added flavor to the roast and it was good on the side.

If I were to do this again, I would kosher the roast for 24 hours before.

That looks really good. The only concern I have is that the outside of meat is not sterile. Wrapping that in bacon insulates it, so there is the possibility of bacteria to survive. Because you brought this up to IT 140*, I don't think this is an issue in your case as the outside of the roast would be hotter for some time, thus killing the baddies. However, if you did cook this rare, to 120*, for instance, you could have an issue. This is a warning to others that if you do wrap to make sure you cook to a higher temperature.

Another note, whenever meat is cut open and stuffed, there is the possibility of contamination. This is why you see stuffed chicken and pork, which is generally cooked to a higher IT. Beef is not stuffed as often as it is usually cooked to a lower temperature, and this can potentially cause illness as bacteria are more likely to survive.

Thanks for the head's up and the good information there Dr. Phizzy. Sometimes we don't think these things through and wonder why we turn up with food poison. Good post!

Blessings,

Omar

Back