THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personally I am a big fan of hickory or oak, I really prefer hickory to any of the fruit woods.

I think pork just screams hickory. In my WSM i will usually mix 3 good sized chunks of Hickory with 2 chunks of Apple or Cherry.

Well I already have my apple wood soaking. I might as well start soaking some hickory chunks. Do I use more hickory than apple wood or vice versa? If I were to mix them. I want to start this around 6-7am.

Hickory for pulled pork. Smoke only permeates 1" of the meat, so a heavy smoke for pulled pork makes sense when you shred it up and mix it.

I use apple for thinner cuts of pork like ribs.

Well I already have my apple wood soaking. I might as well start soaking some hickory chunks. Do I use more hickory than apple wood or vice versa? If I were to mix them. I want to start this around 6-7am.

I never soak. That just makes smolder steam. Dry wood will give you smoke and not burn when the air has been controled for your temp.

I also have to agree with Pappy. I don't soak chunks of wood.
I have soaked chips, but then I wrap them in foil & poke a few holes in it to let out the smoke. That makes them last a bit longer.

Last edited:
Your apple yes Id soak. I would shy away from chips though. They just burn up too fast for smokin. They are ok to use on a kettle when grillin though.

Another vote for no soaking of any type of wood. Even with chips, I'll put them in a foil package and not soak, just poke holes in the top of the foil and toss on coals, or wherever is an appropriate spot for the package.

*Edit* I forgot to mention that I prefer using pecan mixed with apple or cherry, or both! for pork of any kind. Given the choice of the two woods, I'd go 50/50, it should work just fine.

I look @ this in 2 ways:

1- My wife doesn't like ANY spice at all on her food (some herbs are okay), so the times I've used hickory (and I'm only talking 12 oz of smoking wood), she said that the smoke flavor was too heavy.

Since I've gone almost exclusively to fruitwoods, I don't get that from her.

2- Apple & pork... that's a match made in heaven.

There is no need to soak the chunks. It will burn cleaner if dry.

Hickory or mesquite for butts. I never soak chunks. I do soak my chips, but I only use them for grilling hot and fast stuff like steaks.

Back