THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
7 1/2 lb Angus Cert Beef. Been smoke cooking in my UDS for 7 1/2 hrs. Grill temp mostly around 210 to 250, a couple of short 270, 280, etc. Right now its at 255. I mopped it 4 times in the last 4 1/2 hrs, and moved it once to replenish the coal. As of about 5 min ago the internal temp said 170. Should I just let it go until about 185?

I would appreciate an experienced comment or two.

Cook it 'till it's tender - it's a different temp for each brisket, but normally an IT of 200 and above - can be 190, but I've never seen that myself. My highest was either 211 or 217 - can't remember. You'll know it's tender when a probe slides in with little to no resistance. You're getting pretty close - don't take it off too soon.

More info than you'll ever need here.

My favorite brisket thread and the reason I joined this site.

Thanks for your replies.

I think you saved my brisket. I was getting nervous and was all set to take it off, but now I'll just probe & also wait for a higher temp.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the #1 cause of farked up brisket is taking it off too soon. It's kind of a counterintuitive process.
Just think of it as cooking that farker till it gives up.

I agree with the guys above. Keep it on the fire or wrap it now till it hit 200.then let it rest till it is below 170 wrapped up tight.

Temp is a guideline. You want to cook it until it is probe tender.
Slide a probe into the flat from the side and if it feels like "buddah" it's done.
Briskets plateau just like butts.

What excatly does buddah feel like?

Buddha_lantau.jpg

:p

185 is my number to start probing.. I average 195-200 for cab briskets but some have to go to 210... awaygu is lower... sometimes @ 190 they are done.

Back