Help Me With Pork Tenderloin Carnitas

Pog Mo Thoin

Name or Nickame
Pog
Long story short, my plans changed for the weekend. I bought the cryo pack of pork tenderloins from Costco. That pack has a total of four tenderloins. Last light I did two on the smoker BBQ style (dry brined during the day. Smoked indirect at 250 until 115 IT then direct until 145 with one flip. Overshot the temp a few degrees. I blame the ale I was drinking. Best pork I ever had). I would like to use the last two tenderloins for carnitas sometime in the next few days. I am worried about that because they are so lean and I don't want to turn them into tough bits. My plan as of now is below. Please provide any suggestions on time, temp, or anything else that you think will work.

1. Chunk up the tenderloins day prior to cook (not too small).
2. Marinate over night in small amount of oil, a couple limes and oranges.
3. Rub with a fajita style rub before the smoke.
4. Smoke at 225 for XX minutes.
5. Braise at 225 for XX minutes in chicken stock and 1/2 lemon juice.
6. Pull them at +/- 200 when tender to shred. Let cool and shred. Reserve braising liquid.
7. Heat up cast iron pan.
8. Crisp up the pork to desired level.
Pig out! Literally

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pog Mo Thoin

Plans changed, happened to go by the store to replace the beer that was missing due to the beer thief of yesterday. Found butts on sale for .99. Picked one up. That I will make into the carnitas on Monday or Tuesday.

Still, if any of you have any comments about turning the tenderloins into carnitas I will take it. More likely than not, I will freeze them for next time.

Pog Mo Thoin

Everything is shreddable if you cook it long enough. I agree with leaving it whole, and I wouldn't do that to a tenderloin. But, I've done it to loins a time or two.

I actually just vac sealed a huge batch of carnitas tonight, from a cook the other day. I've been quite fond of if.

Back