THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What grade of brisket? When I cook Creekstone prime, the butcher paper is full of liquid after the rest. I have a hard time seeing how tallow could improve it.

Jirby BBQ (ex-Franklin employee) has a video about how to use tallow properly if folks are interested (Mad Scientist is doing it wrong). That said, he doesn’t use it.

On Jirby's new video yesterday, he pours tallow on top of the wrapped briskets after pulling them off the smoker.

So if a little beef tallow on the paper has noticeable results for flavor, and also moistness to some extent.... When will someone try injecting a few ounces of tallow? Better yet, seasoned tallow with at least some salt and garlic??

I have a tool called a larding needle, primarily for inserting strips of lard, or frozen compound butter into lean roasts like venison or pork loin. But slightly chilled tallow should be able to be injectable and would melt and diffuse into the meat much better than a strip of lard. And in fact I have a huge needle on my SpitJack injector that would work great.

I have one as well, very Old English if I remember, looks the same as a leather working needle,
Years ago my mother use to buy meat from the butcher with strips in it, dont remember what,but must have been cheap, maybe old Milker.
Wonder where I have hidden it

So if a little beef tallow on the paper has noticeable results for flavor, and also moistness to some extent.... When will someone try injecting a few ounces of tallow? Better yet, seasoned tallow with at least some salt and garlic??

I have a tool called a larding needle, primarily for inserting strips of lard, or frozen compound butter into lean roasts like venison or pork loin. But slightly chilled tallow should be able to be injectable and would melt and diffuse into the meat much better than a strip of lard. And in fact I have a huge needle on my SpitJack injector that would work great.

I had good results using homemade beef stock with a lot of fat that i never seperated. I suppose injecting straight rendered beef fat would work great. I wonder if injecting as a solid would work better then as a liquid.

Maybe we should start injecting our mostly fat free Filet Mignon steaks with tallow! Hmm :idea:

The tenderness of Filet Mignon, with the fat rendering of a ribeye......

It's interesting, because the last few years, my briskets have noticeably improved and improved consistently. Reading this thread I realize that I used to wrap my briskets in butcher paper, but somewhere along the line, I couldn't find where I put the butcher paper and out of sheer laziness, I've been wrapping them in foil, which was readily available. It seems this would have much the same effect, and that maybe we should be wrapping our ribs in paper and our briskets in foil, instead of the other way around. I'd like to credit my skill or experience for improving my briskets, but it seems to be due to laziness and forgetfulness.

Well? Shiny side in or out?

It's interesting, because the last few years, my briskets have noticeably improved and improved consistently. Reading this thread I realize that I used to wrap my briskets in butcher paper, but somewhere along the line, I couldn't find where I put the butcher paper and out of sheer laziness, I've been wrapping them in foil, which was readily available. It seems this would have much the same effect, and that maybe we should be wrapping our ribs in paper and our briskets in foil, instead of the other way around. I'd like to credit my skill or experience for improving my briskets, but it seems to be due to laziness and forgetfulness.

My roll of peach paper is too big to misplace because I have the 24" counter width that must be 22 miles long. My issues are that foil works better at my altitude.... but I've tried hybrid set-ups with ribs and brisket.

JwbNUml.jpg

Now, I do cook a Cajun style brisket for my rice and gravy that is smoked for 6 or 7 hours and instead of wrapping I finish in my Magnalite. Now I'm wondering what would happen if I did a peach wrap, then put the bundle in the Magnalite.

avQmOrK.jpg

Semmoj4.jpg

What grade of brisket? When I cook Creekstone prime, the butcher paper is full of liquid after the rest. I have a hard time seeing how tallow could improve it.

Jirby BBQ (ex-Franklin employee) has a video about how to use tallow properly if folks are interested (Mad Scientist is doing it wrong). That said, he doesn’t use it.

This brisket was USDA Prime. I can't afford Wagyu

My roll of peach paper is too big to misplace because I have the 24" counter width that must be 22 miles long. My issues are that foil works better at my altitude.... but I've tried hybrid set-ups with ribs and brisket.

JwbNUml.jpg

Now, I do cook a Cajun style brisket for my rice and gravy that is smoked for 6 or 7 hours and instead of wrapping I finish in my Magnalite. Now I'm wondering what would happen if I did a peach wrap, then put the bundle in the Magnalite.

avQmOrK.jpg

Semmoj4.jpg

A few weeks back I made the single best rack of ribs I have ever had in my life, other home or out. I used the 2-2-1 method and wrapped in foil. I like your idea of switching and using butcher paper on the ribs and foil on the brisket.

For my last brisket, which I cooked for July 4th, it was paper and beef tallow. It came out amazing! Moist, easily pulled apart and the family loved it. Next time I'm gonna try the Texas Crutch on the brisket without tallow and compare the results.

I found a nice brisket flat to cook up on the 4th. Simple seasoning of kosher salt and course ground pepper. Was planning on trying out using tallow, but when it came time to wrap I discovered I had forgot to get any. Ended up using a stick of butter instead. Wrapped in butcher paper. Gotta say, that flat turned out very, very good.

BTW - the rub I used was Morton's table salt, coarse ground pepper and ground coffee

Are you doing a long rest?

My cook ended earlier than I expected. I wound up resting mine in a cooler for 8 hours. It was wrapped in butcher paper and a blanket. At 4 pm I put it in my oven at 170 and served it at 7 pm - it was astounding!

Same as always, About 3 hours give or take a few minutes. I normally start at 7 and it's done by 1 or 2 the next afternoon, supper usually around 5ish. The only variable in these last two cooks was the tallow. I will never NOT use it again. First time was cheapie stuff from Shop-Rite, the second time was Wagyu. Exact same cooking process, wrapping process, rest time, etc. I also sprayed 50-50 ACV/Water every half hour to hour this cook, starting around 6am until I wrapped at 10.

What type of smoker?
What are your temp settings throughout?

My cook ended earlier than I expected. I wound up resting mine in a cooler for 8 hours. It was wrapped in butcher paper and a blanket. At 4 pm I put it in my oven at 170 and served it at 7 pm - it was astounding!
In my experience this is the "secret". I did this by accident 12 or so years ago. Didn't even really know about brisket grades back then. They come out great every time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I like how Jeremy does it , spreading the Tallow around more all over the brisket paper, better than Jirby's big blob of tallow in one spot. If anything I'd say Jirby did it wrong.

I like how Jeremy does it , spreading the Tallow around more all over the brisket paper, better than Jirby's big blob of tallow in one spot. If anything I'd say Jirby did it wrong.

Possibly. But if this is the Franklin secret as Mad Scientist claimed when starting this recent tallow hype - the guy that actually cooked at a Franklin BBQ (Jirby) probably has a better idea than Mad Scientist.

Possibly. But if this is the Franklin secret as Mad Scientist claimed when starting this recent tallow hype - the guy that actually cooked at a Franklin BBQ (Jirby) probably has a better idea than Mad Scientist.

The guy that worked at Franklin's, where he didn't add Tallow to briskets, has a better method of adding Tallow to briskets than the guy (Jeremy) who has done several brisket / tallow experiment cooks to try and figure out a more enjoyable brisket method?

Interesting take.

The guy that worked at Franklin's, where he didn't add Tallow to briskets, has a better method of adding Tallow to briskets than the guy (Jeremy) who has done several brisket / tallow experiment cooks to try and figure out a more enjoyable brisket method?

Interesting take.

He said he doesn't add it at his own BBQ joint to the paper. Whether he did at Franklin's is anyone's guess.

What I find odd is everyone trying to crack the Central Texas Craft BBQ brisket "secret" is looking to Youtubers trying to generate views (off the names of the big Texas BBQ places) as opposed to listening the to the folks that work/run these places.

Back