THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pork ribs membrane on or off?

• Get rid of it

Votes: 135 81.3%
  • leave it on

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • depends

Votes: 17 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just happen to be doin some spareribs today. After 3 mos. of subzero weather, today we're at 41 deg. F. WooHoo! They were frozen, and I left membrane on( duh cause it's still frozen) I don't trim to St. Louis style, I like the brisket on. Rubbed em, steam them, then smokem. MMMM!

Attachments

• Ribs, pre steam.jpg
    Ribs, pre steam.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 79
I never used to remove but once I switched to hot and fast they come out so much better with the membrane on. The membrane protects the ribs from the direct heat and pretty much melts away.
This leads me to wonder-I wonder how many of the other membrane-on people also cook over direct heat. I always cook anything indirect if it takes more than a few minutes.

This leads me to wonder-I wonder how many of the other membrane-on people also cook over direct heat. I always cook anything indirect if it takes more than a few minutes.

I use pretty much direct heat all the smokers in my avatar...the only thing in between the coals and meat is a holy diffuser. The ribs always turn out great with membrane on.

I use pretty much direct heat all the smokers in my avatar...the only thing in between the coals and meat is a holy diffuser. The ribs always turn out great with membrane on.
I could see the membrane turning out different treated to direct heat. The cook would be drier.

The last time I did ribs I left it on. It was during the whole weeping ribs blow up. One thing that wasn't being argued was leaving the membrane on so I figured I would try it. My guest noticed it some, the membrane wasn't tough but they knew it was there. Probably because I always remove it.

That's where I'm going with the polls. It's not that what you know is wrong, just that there are other ways. I've cooked ribs 1000 times 100 different ways. I know there are many ways to a great end product. I would like to share my no holds bared mentality with the breathren.

Take it off. Spare ribs I cut to St. Louis and smoke the rib tips and skirt separately. Baby Back I take it off too even though I cook them hotter. But what do I know I still use match light. LOL

Temp stayed between 225 and 250. They turned out perfect. Membrane still on. Between the steaming and actual smoking they just cook away.

Attachments

• Ribs almost done.jpg
    Ribs almost done.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Ribs resting.jpg
    Ribs resting.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 43
I cook on an offset at approx. 250f. I always take it off. Tried leaving it on some baby backs last Saturday. I will never leave it on again. It was inedible, I had to peel it off anyway to eat each rib. I can see how higher heat and direct might change the results. But I prefer getting the rub, smoke and sauce to all the meat anyway. I haven't tried scoring the membrane, That's an interesting idea for a larger cook.

Unless I'm boiling or Crockpottying, I always remove the membrane.

But Seriously! It really is easy to remove the membrane:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fqJcc4n_I"]How to remove the BBQ Pork Ribs Membrane - YouTube[/ame]

Back