Alternatives to the BBQ Guru

I finally got a reply back from BBQ Guru yesterday. They're sending me two new power supplies free of charge and a UPS return label so I can send in the latest power supply that failed so they can try to see what the problem is.

Their customer service has always been great, the Guru itself is amazing, their power supplies just suck. I hope they can shed some light on it, and if I'm doing something to shorten their life, I'll be happy to hear it's my fault and pay for the power supplies they're sending me.

Sorry to just jump in here.

My girlfriend is getting me a fan controller for my birthday but not sure which one to get.
I'm leaning towards the BBQ guru but which model? The cyberq doesn't have great reviews. Anyone else got suggestions? I have a UDS.

I have the Flame Boss 200 and have had no major issues with it. Both probes have failed one time, and they sent new ones out immediately, under warranty. New probes are only $20, so very affordable after the warranty expires. I have used the Flame Boss on a WSM 22, and on my Humphrey's Weekender. Works fine on both. The last few cooks, I'm getting a "Low Battery" notification from it, and it isn't using a battery. I searched the Flame Boss site and found that this typically indicates too low a voltage from the extension cord the unit is plugged in to. The gauge of the cord I'm using is a size or two too small. I can easily purchase a heavier cord, or make one... I just haven't done it yet.

One or two times, on major holidays (Thanksgiving), their servers were overloaded (too many folks smoking turkeys) and couldn't handle the load. They sent an email to all Flame Boss owners apologizing, and promising upgrades to their hardware, so it doesn't happen again. I believe they were genuinely upset that their system failed.

Their customer service has been great when I've talked with them on the phone. I believe two brothers started Flame Boss together, and one of them answered the phone a few times when I called (about new probes, and with help connecting to wifi). He was helpful and friendly.

I have no complaints about Flame Boss, and would buy another Flame Boss unit today if I needed one.

Back