THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jpw23

Babbling Farker
I'm intersted in making my own hot sauce.....anyone know how to properly age peppers?:confused:

I love chilis and have no idea how to age peppers. I assume you would probably want to barrel age like Tabasco, I do not know if hot sauce improves in the bottle like fine wine. I do know BBQ sauce does not, I have a recently purchased and very much exploded bottle of Pit Bull BBQ sauce that proves that out.

for a basic hot sauce I know you need to blanch the peppers in a vinegar and water mixture at a minimum. My hot sauce usually can make it a year.

try hotsauceblog.com, chilipepper.com and fieryfoods.com and see if you can get some help there.

Keep an eye on the food channel. Occasionally they run a show that includes how either Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce is made. I *think* it is aged for one year.

I prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce to Tabasco. It's a fine line for many but I am always highly impressed by BBQ joints that offer both.

Anyway, I've noticed a difference between Louisana Hot Sauce and off brand versions: the number of ingredients. LH is very simple - peppers, vinegar, salt. Some of the cheapies have long words I can't spell....

It seems like in the show I mentioned they put the peppers in an oak barrel with salt on top, let it sit for a year, and then add the vinegar. I could be wrong though.

Finally found some info on the net, after sifting through countless pages of "The Red Hot Chili Peppers" and how peppers affect aging..... Anyway.....place peppers in a non reactive container, about 2 pounds worth, 3 or 4 tablespoons of pickling salt and cover with white vinegar......let set for at least 3 months and check for mold often.

I kinda like Frank's Hot Sauce....( wow....that sounds a bit queer ) Simple ingredients, good flavor, not too overly hot.

Back