Last chile peppers of season

edmonds

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Steve
Freeze was coming so had to pick the last of the chile peppers.
25 poblanos and 10 NewMex, roasted over oak, peeled and deseeded.
Froze most for winter rellenos/stews, but had to make some fresh rellenos.
Very good, and not nearly as hot as last batch.
Sauce is roasted ripe (red) New Mex chiles, onions, broth, spices, and sometimes tomatoes.

P1060283.jpg

P1060285.jpg

P1040397.jpg

P1040398.jpg

Never seen Orange/Red Poblano's before. Are they hotter then green?

Good question. Sometimes it seems like they're hotter, but it's hard for me to tell when a poblano is gonna be hot or not. Ripe (red) poblanos seem to have more flavor than the greens, and I prefer to let them ripen to red when possible.

Those rellenos and peppers look amazing!! I'd hit that!

They tend to get a bit sweeter as they ripen to red. Heat will pretty much be the same as whatever heat level it had. I love it when I find red jalapenos at the grocery store. Especially when the have that wrinkled skin. Love to slow smoke and dehydrate those and store in freezer. They give soups, stews and chili an amazing flavor.

Bob

Those rellenos and peppers look amazing!! I'd hit that!

They tend to get a bit sweeter as they ripen to red. Heat will pretty much be the same as whatever heat level it had. I love it when I find red jalapenos at the grocery store. Especially when the have that wrinkled skin. Love to slow smoke and dehydrate those and store in freezer. They give soups, stews and chili an amazing flavor.

Bob

I usually buy fresno's but they are hit or miss if they are going to be milder or hotter then Jalapeno's.

Back