THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
have you given any thought as to how your bbqing has changed since you first started your journey into the realm of Q? From the equipment you now used vs what you used to use, same for sauces, seasonings cook temps, devices, all the usual things associated to Q?c Wrap don't wrap, woods , charcoal you now used vs what you did at first.

I will toss somethings I do differently now vs,how I used to do things.

First my family sizes is mostly limited to my grandson, myself, and my wife. So I don't cook nearly as much as I used to do. Presently I only cook on a pellet smoker but will get another gasser down the road. Used to make all my rubs and sauces, but now just use what ever I have on hand like mostly salt, pepper, maybe some onion and garlic powder. Store bought sauce no particular brand, which I may kick up a bit. I now only keep maybe two or three rubs and sauces on hand if that many. I don't trim much meat or take the membrane off ribs, don't cut to ST Louis style just do the whole slab as is.

Well there are few things I do differently these day, how about you?
Dave

Last edited:
My Q game is constantly changing. While I have my go-to cooks that are tried and true, I'm always looking to try new things. I enjoy venturing into the unknown. :-D

My gear has certainly gotten better over the years, and my patience level has risen. I now enjoy the journey as much as I do the destination.

Years ago I sauced my ribs and finished on a grill, now I cook them nakid. Just recently bought my first commercial rubs Yardbird and Peppered Cow (not convinced any better than my own). Started smoking 30 years ago on a Brinkman Bullet propane, now I have a HOS stick burner. I still cook way more than I need too but love leftovers and freezing que for future use.

Also I find myself experimenting more and more with veggies on the smoker most with good results.

The biggest changes I can think of are my skill in detecting doneness, my paying less attention to pit temp (within reason), and the increased frequency with which I smoke vs grill (to my Wife's dismay - she doesn't like things smokey). I used to smoke maybe 3-4 times a year (never during winter), now it's year 'round averaging once every 2 weeks or more.

My equipment hasn't changed much. I still don't have an offset (not enough folks to cook for and difficulty in getting splits when I'd need them). I went from smoke boxing indirect on a gasser, to banking on a kettle, and finally to a WSM - all over the course of about 15 years. I only recently started using digital thermos. My next step up would likely be a PBC, and even then only if I have to cater or host a larger family event.

I've only recently introduced m'self to smoking and charcoal. Before that, it was pretty much gas. After my first smoke, however, I'm drawn to charcoal. So changes remain yet to be seen while I get some more experience under m'belt.

My food produced has definitely gotten better. I use more commercial rubs than before but till make a sauce that everyone raves over. Since I do backyard comps, my smoker has gotten larger, OC Over/ Under, and I use more wood than charcoal since joining the Brethren and learning how to do it correctly. Even though my competing phase my last only as long as my partner (my daughter) shows interest, my journey to produce a better and wider variety will never end.

I can tell you how my game changed. Early on I thought complex, crazy recipes made the best Q. Over time I've come to realize that simple can make some amazingly good Q too! This probably came about through experience and learning how to Q right and accenting natural flavors versus trying to completely transform it. Time and place for complex and time and place for simple. When in a pinch? Simple will do juuuuust fine.

I've gotten to the place where on pork chops, chicken, or steak, Kosher Salt and crushed Black Pepper are juuuust fine.
I use rubs alot, with guests it's usually just S+P. Ain't re-inventing the wheel.

I hope this is what this thread is about...I want to share where I started and where I am now.

This website and 007bondjb on YouTube, along with my incredible wife (then girlfriend) were my inspirations to start smoking. I look back all the time to when I started, nervous as all hell and knowing I was going to absolutely ruin the butt I was smoking that day. The first ray of light from the bbq Gods was the charcoal, which was Krogers hickory infused brand, was in the wrong spot, and I didn't know that they had a policy where if it was less than 10 dollars, instead of adjusting the price, they gave it to you. We left with the bag of coal, Sweet n Smoky bbq rub (which is absolutely fantastic), and a 7 pound moist n tender Boston butt.

The smoker was a Brinkmann Gourmet charcoal smoker, water pan, sealed bottom, etc, no vents. Loaded up with charcoal and dogwood chunks. Kept smoke going the whole cook and was absolutely mortified because the temp was already at 160 only 4 hours in, and I knew that little cooker was running wide open. Wanted to impress the future in-laws and just rode it out.

Ended up being absolutely incredible, and I want to share the pics that I still have from my first cook. Needless to say, now, I have my Old Country Ranch Hand and Smokehouse, a Weber 22", and have been totally absolutely bitten by the bbq bug. I never once thought that I'd actually be able to do this. My family and friends and co workers love it when I cook, and that's more than a thank you. I have learned so much from here, and have had so much inspiration from my family and friends to just go for it with smoking. Never thought I'd be where I am today with it.

I thought there had to be smoke coming out. I thought the temp on the meat had to come up slow. Now, I relax, crack open a brew and just let my cookers do what they want to do. I've learned not to rush. If the smoker wants to cook hot, let it cook hot. If it wants to argue, let it win and just roll with it. The BIGGEST thing I think I have learned, however, is to NEVER EVER rinse the ash out with water. Let it cool and sweep it out the next day. I'm ashamed to say that I have ruined the firebox on my Ranch Hand due to that.

From when I started to where I am today with bbq is an achievement that I never, in my wildest dreams, thought was possible, but I am proud to light a fire in my cooker, and as I've stated before, I have all of you wonderful brethren, my wife, and my family to thank for getting me here.

My judges are my family and friends.I get consistent 10's,that is all that matters to me.I have upgraded in the equipment I use over the years.Started with a Weber Kettle,got a BGE as a gift,traveled that road for a while,efficient,not perfect.Got me a stick burner now.Best Q I ever smoked.

I still salivate seeing your rig Hoss. Even in the world of Shirley rigs, you've got something to envy :)

For me, my evolution was gas, charcoal, chips then finally sticks. A lot of it was developing a taste for wood fired food. I then finally found some great stick sources. I'm blessed to have Fruita Wood supply here in my state of Colorado. They tend to be pricier and finally found a great wood yard twenty minutes from home

Great thread.

Started with Weber kettles and Brinkmann gourmet smokers; still have a smokin-n-grill. the gasser got a lot of work for a number of years, got another Weber kettle, and now the PBC.

Haven't made my own sauces or rubs yet; too many really great offerings on the market.

GF thinks I cook like a boss; I know I have a lot to learn still.

So the gear changed a bit, the gasser gets less work these days, and more Weber kettle and PBC...but like others said, let the cooker deal with the food, patience, and don't worry about it

I started as a kid eating my grandpas Q every week, and thinking that this is really good (even though you burped up bitter smoke 5 hours after eating). I started my first ribs and pork steaks on a $20 Brinkman smoke n grill. Quite a few years later, I happened across a free stick burner and made some smokey pulled pork and thought I was doing great at BBQ. I talked to multiple cooks while assisting a team at a BBQ contest 3 or 4 years before I ever became a judge and gained a wealth of knowledge still making smokey Q as the goal. Started judging and watching some BBQ forum that I found, read a lot, asked a lot, cooked some more. Came to the very important realization that smoke was not the main ingredient in BBQ: there is supposed to be some meat in there too.......and I am still striving to make great Q with a load of people for support!

I've been at it since the mid-80's, starting with a Coleman or Brinkman - can't remember which. Having decent early results really helped keep me motivated. Then separation/divorce late 90's to 2000, and the equipment stayed with the ex.

Hooked up with my current wife a year later, and she says "Honey", "Honey", "I saw this cute ceramic smoker not long ago. What do you think"? She already knew I was a good cook.

So 2002, I got us a large BGE, which held on its own until 2014 (still use it, of course). We were doing kitchen refurb and needed something easier on weeknights. TEC portable infrared to the rescue. We were good for a few years. Then last year I started hearing about the Karubeque stick burner. Joined the herd in March. Good balance of equipment. Have learned an awful lot about outdoor cooking and BBQ since the mid-80's.

To me, it's the learning process, the hanging out with the cook and contemplating life, and so on that matter. Beer doesn't detract.

Back