THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
What's the best way to add heat to a sauce without affecting the flavor too much? Hot sauces, chile powders, etc.?

thillin said:
What's the best way to add heat to a sauce without affecting the flavor too much? Hot sauces, chile powders, etc.?

If you want the heat but not so much the flavor from the pepper, you could probably use a chile powder from purely seeds. That's where a lot of the heat is and the flavor is mainly in the meat of the pepper. That's my logic, right or wrong.

Plowboy said:
If you want the heat but not so much the flavor from the pepper, you could probably use a chile powder from purely seeds. That's where a lot of the heat is and the flavor is mainly in the meat of the pepper. That's my logic, right or wrong.

Thats the way to go:biggrin:

Try a bottle of Holy Sh*t. No pepper flavor at all. Just pure unnecessary heat.

Plowboy said:

Never really thought about it, but----
If that logic is sound, and it seems to be, the seeds and veins from Jalapenos should do the trick. :lol:

Interesting idea.

TIM

The_Kapn said:
Never really thought about it, but----
If that logic is sound, and it seems to be, the seeds and veins from Jalapenos should do the trick. :lol:

Interesting idea.

TIM

Depending on the size of the batch, very little habanero seed or vein would add a lot of heat without any flavor.

Depending on the flavor profile you are after, dry mustard gives a heat that affects a different part of the mouth...also, hot hungarian paprika will give you a different heat.

If its a sauce, I usually toss in a couple of japs or habs, uncut, whole, stems removed only & simmer for 20 to 45 mins depending on heat level wanted. For a powder, I don't have a clue.
Dave

chad said:
Depending on the flavor profile you are after, dry mustard gives a heat that affects a different part of the mouth...also, hot hungarian paprika will give you a different heat.

I wonder what Wasabi would do? I don't recall a lot of flavor from Wasabi, but a lot of heat.

jpw23 said:
We had to send a guy home after daring him to eat a teaspoon full of that stuff........blistered his lips, made him violently sick, threw up everywhere, not pretty at all:shock:

A teaspoon? I'm surprised he wasn't rushed to the hospital. I have seen someone get an asthma attack from just breathing that stuff in.

Smoker said:
A teaspoon? I'm surprised he wasn't rushed to the hospital. I have seen someone get an asthma attack from just breathing that stuff in.

Something like that happened to me once. I kept goading my local Chinese restaurant chef to make stuff hotter and hotter until one day he sent out a small bowl of hot sauce. I raised it to my face, took a deep breath, and promptly stopped breathing. We were at a family gathering in the restaurant, and my son called the paramedics. By the time they got there, I was ok, but I thought I was having a heart attack. Never did find out what was in that bowl.

i use just one drop of the really crazy hot stuff..

Daves insanity, or devils revenge, or XXX... or any of the really nutzo hot sauces.. one or 2 drops gets diluted enuf not to change flavor but adds some heat.

Here you go:
http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html
Almost pure capsaicin. The wrapper has a warning, the box has a warning and the bottle has a warning. It's not for flavor, just heat. They say a drop is enough to put some heat into 5 gallons of chili. Never tried it myself as I do not have a death wish.

Of course it is possible to add heat, but at what point does this change from being the art of cooking to a chemistry experiment? I knew a guy who flavored his chili with a misting of pepper spray--the kind you use to ward off an attacker.

The idea of using seeds and veins sounds OK though.

smokinbadger said:
I knew a guy who flavored his chili with a misting of pepper spray--the kind you use to ward off an attacker.

The idea of using seeds and veins sounds OK though.

Or you could make your own pepper spray. :wink:

Actually, I've heard of doing that to keep deer, rabbits and other critters out of the garden and hostas.

Back