THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a freezer full of venison rump roasts from the 3 doe I killed this year, and I've been wanting to make venison pastrami for a while. Seeing this post is going to push me to do it.

Kevin I hope you give it a try... let me know how it goes if you do! Thanks :-D

Aaaaa! meat comes from dead animals? NOOOO! That does look like a good sandwich Jeanie.

lol Bob...Thanks for the laugh!! I really have received reactions like that from people who think meat comes from a store. lol :becky:

e51592f5-1.jpg

I really didn't shoot a deer just for a sandwich...

Deguerre is imagining a whole deboned cured and smoked venison carcass served on the world's biggest hoagie roll...

I don't even like deer but it sure looks great. BTW what temp did you take it to, also I know a lot of people like the gamey taste of deer, do you think the curing took some of it out?

I don't even like deer but it sure looks great. BTW what temp did you take it to, also I know a lot of people like the gamey taste of deer, do you think the curing took some of it out?

Thanks Jestridge! I take it to an IT of 165F. I pull it off the heat a little early and let it sit (still in the stock).

I cook a lot of deer meat, this pastrami tastes more like pastrami than the regular wild deer flavor. Not sure if that makes sense. lol I love the flavor of fresh deer when it's been handled right (field dressed, etc.) but I love this pastrami flavor too.
The pastrami seasonings and curing process DO change the flavor of the deer meat.
Hope you give it a try sometime! Thanks again... :-D

Back