THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An intresting article on the mcribb.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/11-amazing-facts-about-the-mcdonald-s-mcrib-170212930.html

3. The McRib is a product of "restructured meat technology."

Rene Arend came up with the idea and design of the McRib, but it's a professor from the University of Nebraska named Richard Mandigo who developed the "restructured meat product" that the McRib is actually made of.

According to an article from Chicago magazine, which cites a 1995 article by Mandigo, "restructured meat product" contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.

An intresting article on the mcribb.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/11-amazing-facts-about-the-mcdonald-s-mcrib-170212930.html

3. The McRib is a product of "restructured meat technology."

Rene Arend came up with the idea and design of the McRib, but it's a professor from the University of Nebraska named Richard Mandigo who developed the "restructured meat product" that the McRib is actually made of.

According to an article from Chicago magazine, which cites a 1995 article by Mandigo, "restructured meat product" contains a mixture of tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, which is then mixed with salt and water to extract proteins from the muscle. The proteins bind all the pork trimmings together so that it can be re-molded into any specific shape — in this case, a fake slab of ribs.

Is this a bad thing?? I don't get the post.

"restructured meat technology" it is what it is..i am not sure if its a bad thing or a good thing, but i will not eat a mcribb.

I guess the hot dog was the orgianl restructed meat technology.

"restructured meat technology" it is what it is..i am not sure if its a bad thing or a good thing, but i will not eat a mcribb.

I guess the hot dog was the orgianl restructed meat technology.

Yeah it doesn't sound great when it is call "restructured meat technology", but to me it doesn't sound much different than a hotdog. And some people of course don't like those either, not necessarily because of the flavor, but because it contains non-mainstream meat parts.

But what I think is funny is a lot of those folks are the same people/foodies who love to watch Anthony Bordain or Andrew Zimmerman's shows where they eat all kinds of stuff. They have eaten stomach, tripe, intestines, etc. And I guess because they are in the natural form or prepared by a well renowned chef it is not looked down upon. But grind them up, combine them and form into a shape and it is just awful/disgusting and the "downfall of culinary existence in America".

I look at is as not being wastful :becky:.

Back