THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
In my wonderings though the grocery store I happen to spy 1 lb. of ground turkey on sale for $.99 but it needed to be used or froze by the 10th. I wasn’t sure what I was going to make with it but since both my wife and I on doing the Weight Watcher’s thing, I decided to put it in my cart. My first thought was to mix it into some pasta sauce I still had sitting in the pantry for meat sauce. I then pointed the pasta sauce and it was off the charts high, so I rethought what else I could make. My wife suggested Turkey Chili. I liked that idea so that’s what I went with. I searched the web for recipes and combined around 3 of them to come up with this one.

Here are most of the ingredients.

1 ½ Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 lb. Pounds 93/7 Lean Ground Turkey
½ Yellow Onion (Diced)
½ Red Onion (Diced)
I Poblano Pepper (Diced)
1 Red Bell Pepper (Diced)
1 ½ Teaspoons Minced Garlic
1 6 Oz. Can Diced Green Chiles
1 15 Oz. Can Corn
1 15 Oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 15 Oz. Can Tomato Sauce
1 15 Oz. Can Chili Beans
1 15 Oz. Can Black Beans
1 15 Oz. Can Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 15 Oz. Cannellini Beans
1 15 Oz. Can Chicken Broth
2 Tbsp. Chili Power
1 Tsp. Cumin
½ Tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
½ Tsp. Chipotle Pepper Power
½ Tsp. Black Pepper
½ Tsp. White Pepper
½ Tsp. Salt
¼ Tsp. Cinnamon

I diced up all the onions and peppers, mixed up the spices and got out my enameled Dutch oven.

I placed the OO in the D.O. and put it on the side burner of my Gasser. I put the Turkey in once it was heated up.

I cooked it until just slightly brown.

Next, I added the Poblano pepper, onions, Bell pepper and garlic. I covered this and cook it for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

Once the veggies had softened,

I added in the rest of the ingredients

and mixed everything together.

I Brought this to a boil and then covered. I turned the burner to low and let the chili simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Here it is after cooking.

Here it is in a bowl, garnished with onion, cilantro, some lime and some Non-Fat Greek yogurt.

This was delicious and only 3 points per serving. (A serving = 1 cup. This was a large bowl, so it was a double serving so 6 points) Eating like this makes me forget I'm losing weight.

Not a huge fan of turkey but you just changed my mind Jeff. Looks farkin unbelievable. Yum!

I will take a bowl and a potato please How much have you lost
Thanks George.

It depends on when I start the counting. I had gotten up to 303 lbs. but started WW at 298 lbs. I'm now down to 265, and falling, in just under 3 months. This is on WW's Purple plan where potatoes and Brown rice are zero points so long as you cook them without butter or oil. As I said, that baked potato above was only 3 Purple points and I nearly couldn't finish it.

(Note: The cheese needed to be a 1/4 cup or less and is non-fat. What looks like sour cream is non-fat Greek yogurt which is a decent substitute for sour cream)

Also, I can eat all the fruit and veggies I want and I'm actually enjoying eating them which is something new to me. Their Purple Plan has a list of 300 foods that are zero points. (so long as they are cooked correctly)

Back