THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason,
Welcome to the dark side Hunsanker are great drums. Add a little #HillbillyOffense and take Eric Burkhart's class's. Need to get Marks new rib hanger. Once you hang ribs you will never hang them flat again.

Jason,
Welcome to the dark side Hunsanker are great drums. Add a little #HillbillyOffense and take Eric Burkhart's class's. Need to get Marks new rib hanger. Once you hang ribs you will never hang them flat again.

I did get the hanger. Haven't used it yet. Would love to take the class if we have the time. As self deprecating mentioned we don't compete enough to warrant focus at this point in our lives :loco:

I have decided drum is my next purchase. As mn boy I've been leaning whitewater drum but these are giving me 2nd thoughts

So you ran at 300 the whole time? And the butts and brisket were done that fast?!?

Also, what did you inject the chicken with and rub with? I am new to smoking chicken and looking to try new recipes...

Ya around 300 for all meats just to pick a baseline. Big meats got into the 325'ish range. I'll sound like an idiot (which is common) for saying "while I can't give away my exact recipe" I wills say that butchers, cosmos, "enter any other mainstream injection" mixed with some chicken broth and ground up rub tastes good.

Same for the rub :-D

very nice drums and never heard of this company but they are only a hour up the road from me and have always wanted to try a drum out . you got me thinking and that is a bad thing , how long of burn time can you get ?

I haven't looked yet at how much charcoal is left, but I will say this. Took about 20lbs of lump to fill all 3, Ran 300 from 3:15am to 1pm and I think there is still charcoal left in there :clap2:.

These things are freaking tight. Never had a cooker shut down so quickly once I closed the top and bottom vents. They were all down to 150'ish within an hour I think.

Obviously I need more reps, but for a first smoke on 3 at once I'm quite impressed :clap2:. I mentioned this before, but these things can turn in temp on a dime up or down easily by adjusting the vents. Not all cookers can do that :-D.

I'll take some after charcoal pics for ya

I haven't looked yet at how much charcoal is left, but I will say this. Took about 20lbs of lump to fill all 3, Ran 300 from 3:15am to 1pm and I think there is still charcoal left in there :clap2:.

These things are freaking tight. Never had a cooker shut down so quickly once I closed the top and bottom vents. They were all down to 150'ish within an hour I think.

Obviously I need more reps, but for a first smoke on 3 at once I'm quite impressed :clap2:. I mentioned this before, but these things can turn in temp on a dime up or down easily by adjusting the vents. Not all cookers can do that :-D.

I'll take some after charcoal pics for ya

thanks buddy for the info , you got me looking real hard at them and already emailed them . I assume there is not much of a wait time to be built ? I love they will knock off the shipping and credit it to you if picking up and every little bit helps in this expensive hobby we have .:becky:

thanks buddy for the info , you got me looking real hard at them and already emailed them . I assume there is not much of a wait time to be built ? I love they will knock off the shipping and credit it to you if picking up and every little bit helps in this expensive hobby we have .:becky:

From ordering to receiving it was less than 2 weeks. Now keep in mind I asked what color which ship fastest so got all black which seems the most common. I didn't really care what the color was. Mark was awesome to work with and as friendly a bbq guy as you will find. You can see what he has in stock or turn around times on anything custom.

Anyways. Here's pics of the 3 baskets. Still maybe 1/5 of the coal left
CpR8DG1l.jpg

fLroADfl.jpg

CKpbcl8l.jpg

Soooooooooooo, temp control isn't an issue. Color on the meats look spot on. How pleased are you with the taste/tenderness? Are you able to taste the plastic school bus still, or does it mellow out using the vortex on the fire basket??

Soooooooooooo, temp control isn't an issue. Color on the meats look spot on. How pleased are you with the taste/tenderness? Are you able to taste the plastic school bus still, or does it mellow out using the vortex on the fire basket??

Ya the school bus just complements the vortex action :clap2:. Of course this was first go round, but temps were easy to maintain. I normally have ribs and chicken go right before turn ins and they come off right before we box, but today (since I didn't now how long things would take) ribs actually were done about 40mins early, but they held well in the cambro. They were a tinge over, but that is better than a tinge under.

Next time I'm thinking of doing ribs at 275 since they are on their own drum and are not rushed by anything else. I know teams sometimes have 4, but I had no issues with 3. 2nd pork butt came off at 9:45 and I planned on chicken at 10:30 which is when it went on. Brisket was off by then too so really I have 2 drums open. I kept the brisket drum running hotter than the one that had chicken in case chicken wasn't cooking in time or something was behind with ribs. Didn't have to use it, but a nice option to have if you need to microwave something :becky:

also I noticed they do not have a BBQ Guru adapter option , is a fan not needed for overnight cooks to keep the temps steady ? I realize you only done a cook on yours but I assume since the vent is on the bottom that wind will not affect this cooker with temp spikes .

also I noticed they do not have a BBQ Guru adapter option , is a fan not needed for overnight cooks to keep the temps steady ? I realize you only done a cook on yours but I assume since the vent is on the bottom that wind will not affect this cooker with temp spikes .

Ya no guru option, though I'm sure you could lock in a lower temp similar to a WSM or other drums. And the intake on the bottom was designed to eliminate wind factor.

Drums like these or gateways are typically folks cooking hotter and shorter times so no huge assistance needed for that.

Emptied out the leftover charcoal this morning into my egg and this is what the bottom looked like after lifting them out.
E3qzIEjl.jpg

jcKo3o1l.jpg

tUuKy6Jl.jpg

All bagged up.
KMk5pqvl.jpg

I plan on doing another chicken and rib practice next Sunday. Chicken was great and timing was good, but want to try a few other things. Ribs I'm going to work on timing. They came off about 45mins early, but I just held them in the cambro and that worked quite well.

Going to run 275 on the ribs next time and see how that goes. Also going to run a different brand. These were walmart ET's and will pick up some Restaurant Depot ribs possibly today.

I may not do another brisket. I liked it and other than cooking faster there wasn't much difference to me. I'll do another pork run depending on time as well. I liked it, but might try a few different trimming things to play around with.

Great smokers. Hopefully this helps. I don't have an official "review" on them yet, but these are all just observations after one cook. Super happy I bought them :-D

I dunno, seems thorough enough to call it an official review, I mean, you even showed us your bottom. Those look like pretty nice cookers.

Who doesn't like a good bottom?? :becky:

I need some more experience to really be able to be thorough on an overall review, especially as it comes to cooking different things. I will add I love the wheels on it and also the lid comes hinged which is great :-D. Looking forward to the next cook.

Any idea by eyeballing it whether you think one of those boxes would fit in the back of a 4 door jeep wrangler? I may be passing through the area soon, and thought about picking one up.

Any idea by eyeballing it whether you think one of those boxes would fit in the back of a 4 door jeep wrangler? I may be passing through the area soon, and thought about picking one up.

I think it would fit because a standard 55 gallon drum is 23" wide by 34 1/2" tall but just add a little more for the stack .

Back