24 pound turkey

Dude: You want to cook a 24 pound turkey in that right? In my opinion, you got bigger problems than what to inject it with. Like a long-farkin day.

Some purists will probably give me $hit for this: But I'd seriously consider cutting that big boy in half. It'll fit better and cook quicker and probably taste better.

As for what to inject, just keep it simple. If turkey meat was supposed to taste sweet, it would look like mangoes.

chad said:
I'd do it Tuesday and cook Wednesday...the acids in the mojo will definately do their job too well. This is true of most injections except maybe "plain" butter and apple juice.
thanx
i will not murder my birdie! by cutting him in half!:evil:

Personally...I'd feel better if you split it in half....24# bird ain't like doing a chicken....and I don't want you and your guests to get sick....

i am smoking it at 225 for a hour and then cooking it at 300-325

Poultry is a smoke sponge man. Do it for a coupla hours in the smoke then finish in the oven. Trust me it'll be OK that way. And please make sure you brine it, no matter how you cook it.

i butterflyed it it is a little to big to fit has to much boobage

Solidkick said:
Personally...I'd feel better if you split it in half....24# bird ain't like doing a chicken....and I don't want you and your guests to get sick....
Last time I did a "larger then recommended" bird, I found something akin to beer-can turkey to stand it up with. Reduced the footprint, probably let the air flow through better, and gave me something to present the bird on when it was done (stood on the device placed on a platter). Here's a photo:

Attachments

• PICT0230 small.JPG
    PICT0230 small.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 41
Back