2 years in waiting, got my forever smoker!

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
Yesterday was a great day! (Today not so much, this is the third time I am writing this because of computer crashes!!!) We took our 2 and a half year old son to Grant's Farm, a small free zoo that used to be owned by the Anheuser Busch family. Luke had a blast and mommy and daddy had free beer.

After this we went 5 minutes down the road to St Louis BBQ to pick up our new custom smoker that they ordered for us. This is the result of a two year process. We needed a different smoker from what we had. My propane is big enough for big cooks, but it has trouble with making enough heat in the winter and with it loaded. It also needs to have the wood box fed every 45 minutes. So on long cooks I don't get much sleep. I can set up my 22 kettle to be hands off, but it does not have enough room. So I started looking and doing a lot of research. We decided on a insulated vertical as best for our needs. There are many really good companies out there. We came to Humphrey's as it had the options I wanted and a local dealer making shipping much cheaper. Thanks to all that helped to get this right, IamMadMan, SeanBBQ, NortheastBBQ (Kevin), and St Louis BBQ! Special thanks to Kevin for being willing to help with advice even though it made more cost of shipping sense to purchase from St Louis BBQ who is in my backyard. Thanks to Louis and Scott at St Louis BBQ for being patient with repeated visits, calls, and emails.
We decided on a Down East Beast would be best for us. I can cook for my church, 120 people, and my family, 3. My wife said that if we are buying a once in a lifetime cooker then we better do it right. So, it has a stainless table, bottle opener, 8" castors, grab bars, temp ports, temp tray, and a towel rack. The color is royal blue, white trim, gunmetal gray doors, and the St Louis Blues hockey logo on the door. The entire smoker was shot with clear coat to make the finish last longer.
I seasoned it by spraying it down with Pam and then running a fire for a couple of hours. Then a fatty stuffed with cubed cooked potatoes and sharp cheddar cheese, and three packs of bacon dusted in brown sugar went one. I added wild cherry chunks to the coals and got thin blue smoke. By the time everything was done it was late and I was really tired. So just a small slice of the fatty and then I went to bed.
So here is what everyone wants to see, the pictures. But first, I need some suggestions on naming her. A smoker of this quality, can cost, has to have a name. So please fire away!

that is an awesome looking smoker! i think mine is the same size (not a humphreys) and i can get 12 briskets in it (that's how we measure cooker size in Texas). you will be feeding a ton of people with that thing. also doesn't use much fuel so you don't have to feel like you are wasting anything on smaller cooks. congrats!

Good on ya! Visited Troy a couple times to see friends. Nice little town! Congrats on having a nice family and a cool smoker. Go WINGS!!!!!

Got a name for ya, Walt! It's obvious you're a Blues fan. The cooker is the Down East Beast. Former Blues power forward, Boston native Keith Tkuchuk's nickname is "Walt". He too was a Down East Beast!

SS

What an awesome smoker!

I'm an old Blues fan so I think "Bobby Gassoff" would be a great name. I bet that Beast is as tough as Bobby...enjoy! (catch the GAS pun too?)

What a gorgeous and extremely efficient smoker.

Congratulations on your awesome smoker... Looks like you have a couple perfect cooks under your belt...

Nice! I would call it old blue even though it is brand new :) or just blue. And every time you use it, when you are rolling it out and during the cook, you can say "your my boy blue, your my boy." (From Old School if you didn't understand the reference)

Good on ya! Visited Troy a couple times to see friends. Nice little town! Congrats on having a nice family and a cool smoker. Go WINGS!!!!!
Let me know the next time you are in Troy. I will feed you some BBQ, either mine or a really good place in town, and provide you will fine homebrewed beer.

I choose to ignore the Wings comment....:butt:

Got a name for ya, Walt! It's obvious you're a Blues fan. The cooker is the Down East Beast. Former Blues power forward, Boston native Keith Tkuchuk's nickname is "Walt". He too was a Down East Beast!

SS

Tkuchuk was an amazing player. But, Walt is not going to work. 1st, my father and grandfather are named Walter and go by Walt. 2nd, its like a boat thing, it has to have a female name, otherwise people will "think" things when I say I have to spend some quality time with "Walt". :wink:

Nice! I would call it old blue even though it is brand new :) or just blue. And every time you use it, when you are rolling it out and during the cook, you can say "your my boy blue, your my boy." (From Old School if you didn't understand the reference)

Old Blue, I like the sound of that. I was thinking of Rally Boobs, but my better judgment kicked it. If you don't know what that is google Blues Rally Boobs, it is hilarious.

Back