THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve81

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Steve
Bought two small pork puts, about 7 lbs combined. Had tried a brine bath and it came out great but does seem to be a big waste. So tried out an injector and read the brine instructions. 8oz of ginger ale or apple juice and did use apple juice. Brine mixture 2.2 oz at full strength. When injecting some leaked and even squirted a bit out, but general injected to seeing the meat puff. I used less than 4 oz of mixture. So at 25% of the max of 1oz per pound recommendation of Oak Ridge Brine.

Looking for advise and words of wisdom on injecting. Thanks in advance.

I hate when it squirts back into my face.

I dont go crazy but a quarter is low. I do at least 50% the amount suggested at a bit less then full strength. you shouldn't taste the injection so much as improved texture and moisture

I used OR Game Changer on my last butt, I thought it stayed more juicy than a not injected butt, but not by a lot. I’m not sold on wether I will try it again on a butt though I always inject turkeys.

I brine using Oakridge Game Changer Brine and my results are nothing short of stellar.

I mix half strength, approximately 1 tablespoon per cup of fruit juice. Apple, Pear, Peach Nectar, Apricot Nectar, or White Grape. I prefer peach nectar or white grape as my main choices.

To prevent leaking and squirting, I simply inject through the cyro-package using the same hole at multiple angles. If it isn't cyro-packed, I wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. No, it doesn't push plastic into the meat because i use a pointed needle with holes on the side. The sharp tip of the needle will only make a hole.

Concentrate along both sides of the bone and then deep into the larger muscles. The injection will be absorbed and will seek a state of equilibrium. The salt will denature some of the tightly bonded proteins and carry flavor deep into the meat.

I inject several hours before I ready the smoker, and add the rub just before going into the smoker.

I do not wrap, and I find the bone starts to wiggle like a loose tooth as low as 187° for the most part. There are some that don't wiggle until they reach a higher temperature.

I found that the injected pork butt pulls in very long strands which is much more pleasing to the eye.

enhance

Thanks all and especially IamMadMan, very helpful. For now on will keep it simple since I generally buy just over 3lb to just under 4lb pork putts. Will mix up the Game Changer, full strength and use the full 2oz capacity of my injector, which will be around or actually just over 50% in the future. May also experiment with different juices. Thanks again!

I have had good luck with some of the commercial products, but the first thing I do is weigh out the manufacturers recommended amount (usually called out in 1/4 or 1/3 cups) using grams, and then mix that batch using the recommended amount of liquid. Now I have a basis and can calculate how many grams of powder and liquid for each pound of meat. If I need to go weaker or stronger I just adjust the number of grams. I like these products because you just have to measure and shake, no cooking down like many traditional brines or injections.

I also make a apple juice (or apple white grape juice) injectable brine and add 1 gram of canning salt to each ounce of juice. A 8 ounce bottle of apple juice is about right for an 8 pound butt or pork loin. If you like a lower salt mix, just use 3/4 gram per ounce of juice. This is easy and fast to mix up as canning salt dissolves well in room temperature or cool liquid.

My oldest pork injection takes some time but I either smoke a pack of pork neck bones, or buy some hocks and put a couple hours of smoke on them. Then I make broth with the smoked meats. It's quickest in the pressure cooker. Next, I mix the porky broth 50:50 with Coca-Cola made in Mexico, it has cane sugar not corn syrup. Then adjust to taste. I want to taste pork flavor, slightly salty and slightly sweet. I still inject about an ounce per gallon of this mix too.

Back