+1 For Long Prime Brisket Holds and Yes, Tallow

Jlems

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
Well I've struggled and struggled and struggled with briskets, but now am a full believer in all the advice here and on youtube lately for long hold times and tallow and creekstone prime briskets. Hopefully this helps others. It has worked for me twice now:

Did 7 hours on the offset with S&P rub and oak wood, until the bark and color was set.
BP wrap with a little tallow on the non-fat cap side, and cheated into the oven until an IT of 200 at which point I check for tenderness.
Both times the briskets were absolute butter in the flat at around 203-205.
Rest on the counter down to 160 IT and then into turkey roaster oven set to 145-150. Rest in the roaster for 5-10 hours (whatever I needed at the time). Total time for me was 14 hours active cook, 6 hours rest.

Unreal and repeatable results. External AND internal fat rendered beautifully. Father in law multiple times said "I've never had brisket like this"!

Next I'll probably want to try changing it up with a costco prime or even a GFS choice to see how those fair. Or maybe not... :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_6027.jpg
    IMG_6027.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_6028.jpg
    IMG_6028.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 437
Yep, yep yep. That's how I'm doing it now and the results speak for themselves. I will say creekstone farms is the finest brisket I've ever cooked. FAR exceeds anything I've ever bought from Costco.

I have a container of wagyu tallow and a new turkey roaster (old one crapped out). I am going to make another brisket in the next couple weeks. Can't Wait!

That sure looks great bud. I see I am going to have to try the tallow thing. Was holding off, and let others try and “crack the code”. But now am seeing more and more using it with positive results.

Haha yep. Instead of a cooler, pop it in there and let her sit for hours. Worked perfectly.

Did this on the Brazos. Kept it at about 275 the whole time during smoke, but needed sleep real bad so overnight in the oven was at 225 then back to 275 to finish. This is opposite a lot of methods that slowly increase temp during the cook but I wanted at least 6 hours of shut eye.

Those roasters actually work pretty good, I have a Nesco 18 Qt and the dial starts at 200°, but there is plenty of room below. Hamilton Beach (who makes a 22 quart) and Sunvivi have models that have controls that show 150° so maybe a better option for a 'warming' oven. We use 5 or 6 roasters for serving and my buddy is a believer of adding water under the insert since we are just using for warming on the lowest setting.

What I'm curious about is wrapping in BP, then bagging and using a sous vide for holding. The same hot box I use for ribs or one brisket makes a great SV container.

looks great. the "turkey roaster" is my bbq secret weapon. hot holding even works for ribs and chicken. you can pull early and hold to finish with excellent results. finish IT is lower, more fat is rendered and the meat is juicier

I've tried it. Wagyu beef tallow. Was not impressed with it at all. Used it as a binder, and then added it again when it was time to wrap in butter paper at the stall. It softened the bark and turned it into mush.

Oven Brisket Hold

Sorry I posted this in another spot but don't post much so kind of a rookie poster. Been researching this method a lot. Haven't done enough briskets yet to get any good ones. Have a question though. I have an oven that I can adjust by +/- 30 degrees F. I ran a test yesterday. Set to 170F with no offset the high was 205 and the low was 158. So I adjusted offset to -20F. Same test yielded range of 184F to 140F. From these results I can assume a -10F would yield approximately 194F to 150F. So is 140 too low if it only reaches that temp for a few minutes? Wouldn't the meat hold temp well above 140F for a very long time? Also is 194F high enough to continue to cook the Brisket? Noticed the temp falls from the higher temp slower and increases from the lower temp much faster. Trying to guess which is the better temp range. Leaning towards the 184F-140F vs. the 194F-150F range. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Definitely the lower. If it were me I'd drop it to 130-174. Nothing is going to go wrong with your brisket if the oven drops down to 130 for a little bit. If it stays too hot in the oven for too long you will dry the brisket out.

Other things I recommend, let the brisket cool to at least 150 before putting in the oven. Also, recommend prizing the butcher paper before wrapping. Having the paper slightly damp allows you to get a tighter wrap and seems like more of the briskets juices stay with the brisket instead of being absorbed by dry paper.

I can attest to long rests doing wonders for Primes... Choices not so much! They tend to shred a bit. Wonderful brisket, enjoy

Back