Home Rendered Tallow: Store it Countertop or Refrigerate?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all,

Ok, last time I fired up the offset and did a brisket, I took a good bit of the fat I trimmed off, put into a metal bowl which I placed in the cook chamber to render into smoked tallow.

I used some of this for wrapping my brisket.

The rest I poured into a jar.

Now...it's been out on my counter, as that I was treating it like my grandmother did bacon fat, just kept the in an old coffee can by the stove and used as necessary.

Is it best practice to do tallow the same way?

Or, will it quickly go rancid and needs refrigeration?

Do you keep your bacon drippings out on the stove or refrigerate those?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

When I render tallow I usually have enough to fill several large mason jars, so I keep those refrigerated for longevity's sake. Smaller amounts that I can use in a reasonable amount of time I keep in a jar in the pantry at room temperature and never have any issues with it. YMMV

For me I either keep bacon fat or tallow on the countertop or it is vacuum packed and frozen.

It is my understanding that there are 3 issues to think about here. 1. Food safety 2. Oxidation 3. Rancidity.

For food safety, the tallow has been pasteurized when rendering, so there is little risk here outside of some kind of cross contamination. Bacon fat might be a bit safer since it also has a lot of salt in it, but safety isn't a concern.

For oxidation, that happens slower at lower temps, so refrigeration can slow oxidation a bit.

For rancidity, this has to do with how "clean" the fat is. If you strain it through cheesecloth of a fine strainer it will take longer to go rancid since it is "cleaner".

For me I either keep bacon fat or tallow on the countertop or it is vacuum packed and frozen.

It is my understanding that there are 3 issues to think about here. 1. Food safety 2. Oxidation 3. Rancidity.

For food safety, the tallow has been pasteurized when rendering, so there is little risk here outside of some kind of cross contamination. Bacon fat might be a bit safer since it also has a lot of salt in it, but safety isn't a concern.

For oxidation, that happens slower at lower temps, so refrigeration can slow oxidation a bit.

For rancidity, this has to do with how "clean" the fat is. If you strain it through cheesecloth of a fine strainer it will take longer to go rancid since it is "cleaner".

Oh thank you!!

I'd not known about straining, etc.

I'd just heard of rendering it, to add to wrapped briskets....I'd not heard of long term storage, straining, etc....

Thank you for the info!!

C

I've rendered lard not tallow but usually store it in the refrigerator, not sure if it makes a difference but it will slow down any rancidity if you don't use it often

Heresey?

I've rendered lard not tallow but usually store it in the refrigerator, not sure if it makes a difference but it will slow down any rancidity if you don't use it often

Just a quick update....

I was trying my first rack of BB ribs on the new stick burner....and when I wrapped in paper, I threw a bit of smoked beef tallow in it....seemed to work out VERY well.

I'm, guessing using beef tallow rather than pork lard is akin to heresy, tho....?

;)

Speaking of...I've tried a number of grocery stores looking for it...do they even sell lard in regular grocery stores anymore?

C

The grocery store lard is hydrogenated , not sure how or what that does but sounds like shortening, which I won't use...

Cool

Walmart near me sells this type of lard:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Armour-Lard-16-oz-Tub/47670086

However, I prefer going to the Mexican markets and getting the lard they render. Not sure if you have any of those around you.

OH GREAT suggestion!!

Thank you!!

Yes, we have what's called the "Ideal" markets that are Mexican. I like to hit these from time to time to get good dried chiles.

They have a meat counter that is full of stuff...much that I don't recognize....but, I"m guessing they do indeed have lard there!!

I'll give it a look next time I'm in that neighborhood!

C

Back